Wednesday, April 1, 2009

My Top 25 Travel List

Well, today starts National Travel Writing Month; the month where travel writers are supposed to write and send out as many queries as they can in the month of April. Well, I consider myself a novice travel writer; however, I won’t be setting my goals quite that high.

I don’t think it is physically possible for me to send out 30 queries for the month (which is the goal) and not come out completely sleep deprived with not much to show for it. Plus, I figure every travel publication is going to be receiving a ton of queries this month, so, what a bad time to send one in for it to get lost in the shuffle.

I will be focusing more on my travel writing this month, though. My first thought regarding this was if you are going to write about travel you have to be going places. Gotta have some material to work with. This led me to start thinking about my travel list. I’ve seen a lot of other travel bloggers make a list of the top places or things they want to do or see in their lives.

I figure we don’t accomplish much without goals and if I believe in them for my health, I should believe in them for my travel too so I put together my list.

It is full of all different kinds of travel experiences. Some are just countries I want to visit, some are specific cities. Some list an exact activity within a location which I want to take part in. Some are halfway around the world; some are practically in my backyard. Some I may have had to the opportunity to do at one time and just haven’t taken advantage due to budget or time. Okay, you get the idea.

While some I want to do before others it is way too hard to give preference to most of them so they are really in no particular order.

My Top 25 Travel List

1. See a Spanish Riding School Performance in Vienna (I’ve only seen a practice)
2. Visit a Christmas Market in Vienna or Germany
3. Manaus and the Amazon in Brazil
4. Singapore
5. Vietnam
6. Enjoy Paris on an adequate budget
7. View Wildlife in Alaska
8. Patagonia
9. Visit NY at Christmas time
10. Santorini, Greece
11. Salzburg, Austria
12. Belgium
13. Attend a cooking school/tour in Europe
14. Vancouver-BC (or other parts of Canada)
15. Italy (hopefully checking this off this summer)
16. Maine (including the annual Lobster Fest)
17. Costa Rica
18. Upstate New York
19. Colorado
20. Jackson Hole, Wyoming
21. Scandinavia
22. Thailand
23. Scotland
24. Black Hills of South Dakota
25. Buenos Aires, Argentina

My list could be much longer. There are so many places I have yet to see in this world. It was hard to narrow it down considering when it comes to countries like France and Germany I really want to see the entire area, not just the most popular cities.

I think these are the ones on my list that I would consider “do soon”. I’m not sure that I’ll get to all of them, but it is nice to have something to shoot for.

Is there someplace specific that tops your travel list? You may give me some more ideas!

14 comments:

Emily said...

What a great list! Can I make a suggestion? Go to Buenos Aires before you leave Brasil if at all possible - even if just for a long weekend. Last year we caught a great flight deal and once you're there it is soooo cheap!!! We were eating steak dinners with a bottle of wine for US$20! And our B&B was under US$60/night. Really, you gotta do it . . . I'm dying to go back again myself.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Emily - Thanks! We are for sure planning on it. We almost booked it last weekend with Gol's deals, but decided the end of April was not the best time for us to be traveling with my husband's work schedule. We are hoping that he'll get sent to the area for work and I'll meet him there or we'll find some other deals in late June, July. We definitely want to go before leaving.

That Girl said...

We're planning to hit up the Amazons next month - can you believe we haven't gone yet? We did go to Maceio (breathtaking!) but I want to see some alligators.

From a very, very safe distance, of course.

If you want to stick around Brazil, you HAVE to see Bahia/Salvador, Rio (if you haven't already), and possibly Forteleza. Campos do Jordao is awesome, too, as is Serra Negra. I can give you hotel/resort recommendations for all.

But your #1 priority MUST be Buenos Aires. I agree with Emily - it is one of my all-time favorite vacation spots. Soooo cheap, absolutely gorgeous, and a MILLION things to do. GO. NOW.

Mamacita Chilena said...

NICE list! The only two places I've been on there are Buenos Aires and Costa Rica, and Costa Rica trumped BA times a thousand. It was pretty much the coolest place I've ever been to. The people were SO nice and the scenery was breathtaking. It was cheap, but there was still enough infrastructure that things weren't too difficult for a tourist to handle. :)

2012 Events said...

I hope this summer you do get to go to Italy, because I would sure like to see some pictures and hear about your experience. I have this on my wish list (well it's been on there for about 9 years), but just keep waiting on my hubby to have the time to take me
= )

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

That Girl - Ooh! I hope you'll post about your trip. I was supposed to meet a friend from the States there. They travel through a mission at their church, but it hasn't worked out since we've been down here.

Buenos Aires is at the top of the list. I think we'll make it there for sure before we leave.

Mamacita Chilena - That is great to know about Costa Rica! It is so interesting to me, the pics I see are just beautiful. My husband's company has a plant there and I keep hoping he gets sent and maybe we can buy an extra ticket for me to tag along.

Living in Brazil - It is in the plan right now and I'll definitely post about it. We are pretty much set on Bologna with a day in Venice and Parma. We don't have the dates set yet, but it is usually always last minute for us because we have to travel around some workshops my husband has this summer.

Ray Adkins said...

Lori,

I would like to suggest "Cidades Historicas" to your list, in Minas Gerais, Ouro Preto etc...
I don't know if you have been there yet, but it was one of our all time favorite trips ever.
My other favorite spot in the world is the Smoky Mountain area in Tennessee.


Ray

healthy ashley said...

I can't believing I'm just realizing you blog here, too! Love the list. Right now I want to visit Germany, Ireland... and somewhere warm :)

Bartica said...

You make me want to go EVERYWHERE!! Some of the best vacations I have had were in Zanzibar/Tanzania and India. Salzburg is a must if you are in Austria (I live in Zell am See, we could meet for a Stiegl!!) In regard to Germany- I lived in Heidelberg for 3 years and LOVED it...it's sort of touristy but it's just such a beautiful city. Strasbourg, Amsterdam, Aix-en-Provence also some of my favorite stops.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Ray - Thanks for the ideas. Before moving to Brazil I had my heart set on seeing Ouro Preto b/c we had seen a documentary. I'm not sure it is going to happen though. Love the Smokies. They are really beautiful.

healthyashley - Ha, ha! Yeah, my double life. ;) You will love Germany and Ireland. They are my top travel places so far in addition to Vienna. For someplace warm I can't get enough of Jamaica. I love it there.

Hi Jody - I fell in love with Vienna and I can't wait to see the rest of Austria. I'm really drawn to the whole culture around that area. That is so interesting about Tanzania and India. There are areas around there that interest me, but so far they haven't moved to the top yet, but maybe soon. Thanks for your tips. We have tossed around the idea of Strasbourg and I can't wait to see the rest of Germany.

brian said...

Costa Rica is fantastic! I loved every minute I was there. Zip Lining, beaches, the wonderful people.

I've been to Bahia to and think it is a side of Brazil people don't think about but should see.

I've done Paris on a budget and it is not that hard. Check my blog @ http://nodebtworldtravel.com for some ideas.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Hi brian - So glad to hear the good things about Costa Rica. I think the thing with Paris is that I know it can be done on a budget, but that isn't how I want to experience it. I want to have enough saved up to stay in a nice hotel and have some upscale cuisine. Thanks for the tip on your blog. I'll have to check it ou.

Bethany said...

Oh what a fun list! From your list, I have been to a Christmas Market in Vienna, Paris, NY @ Christmas, Italy, Maine, and upstate NY. I would LOVE to go to Hawaii, Australia, Alaska....well all the 50 states actually. ;) Cool idea!

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Bethany - Thanks for your comment. I'd love to make it to all 50 states in my lifetime. Although I kind of feel that way about countries too so I feel the need to prioritize. Ha, ha!