Thursday, April 16, 2009

Same Life, Different World

I was finishing up my run at the park last night when I walked by the agua de coco/caldo de cana (coconut water/sugar cane juice) stand I saw a girl about my age buying a coconut to drink. She had clearly just finished up her work day and was probably walking through the park on her way home.

It was one of those moments when I was struck by the similarity to my own life back home. Instead of stopping by Starbucks to get a drink like I would sometimes do after a long day of work or before a night of studying, she was ending her work day by stopping at the coconut stand. Same practice, different kind of drink.

It reminded me of what made me a travel lover in the first place and what eventually led to my openness to live abroad. I’ve always thrived on the understanding that my world is not the only one that exists. I love witnessing people living their lives day in and day out, just like I do, but in a completely different place with different practices and challenges. It overwhelms me and makes me want to learn more, to see more, to travel more.

Witnessing this girl end her day much like I used to, reminded me how some things can be so different, yet so alike at the same time. It was a night that I really appreciated the fact that I don’t have a Starbucks to go to, but fresh coconuts to drink instead.

Over and over again on this journey and through my travels I see and experience things that say to me – same life, different world.

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

I too think things like this are fascinating...as different as cultures are and as different as lives can be, we are all still patterned the same. Our human nature is inherently the same. It is AMAZING. That is what I found so fascinating about my sociology and anthropology classes!!

Rogério Penna said...

speaking of different world, since you havent visited Rio Grande do Sul yet, feel free to check out my Gramado photos taken during the Eastern weekend. (pics on page 1 and 2 of the thread)
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=848420

hope you can visit RS someday

Bartica said...

The feeling is seriously addicting.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori,
I have been reading your blog now for the past couple of months and have been enjoying it. I have started my own blog to document my journey towards moving to Brazil and hopefully to help others. I added your site to my link list and hope you might do the same for me. I also write a second blog, Tricia's Dish, www.triciachaves.blogspot.com.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Stephanie - You'll have a great time exploring the differences in Brazil for sure.

Aces - Would love to make it to RS? I'm not sure it is in the cards, but if the opportunity arises I will take it.

Jody - Yeah, it never seems to go away no matter how many places I visit.


Tricia - Thanks for your comment. I'm so glad you enjoy the blog. Best wishes for your move to Brazil!

Mamacita Chilena said...

We really are all the same no matter how different we actually appear upon first glance. Cool post.

It took me back to when I was in Brazil. The family I was staying with said it was too dangerous for me to go by myself so they'd send a maid across the street to the beach to buy me coconut milk at night.