It is somewhat of a rare occurrence in these parts, considering we are in the land of red meat, but recently I’ve come across a vegetarian restaurant in the city. I was so impressed with Dubom, I went twice in two weeks.I’m not a vegetarian, but I enjoy veggie based meals all the time. I eat meat, but I have a limit regarding how much is enjoyable. I think I’ve pretty well established that red meat everyday exceeds my limit. For the most part my excitement over this restaurant stems from the fact that I am simply happy to have found something a bit different in a place that, although charming, lacks variety in food choices.
I really have no idea how I missed this place for almost two years with its massive sign stating “Vegetariano”, but I’m glad I did eventually stumble upon it. I went with a friend first and was sold, so I took my husband back a couple weeks ago.
The food was excellent, first of all. Then you add the fact that the drink is included (juice or water) along with a mini dessert buffet of pudim and sagu. All this for R$10 por pessoa. What a deal!
I was able to snap some pictures when I went with my husband. There were all kinds of sprouted grain salads, veggie salads and spreads as well as soy offerings. This definitely isn’t a vegan place because there was a lot of cheese and butter, but they got creative with the vegetables which was refreshing.

I just have to say vegetarian feijoada is darn tasty. It is full of squash and other veggies, and yes there is the occasional random soy “meat”, but I’ll take that over random pig parts any day. Sorry, I’m just a bit unadventurous like that.

On my second visit they had a huge pan of chopped bananas and avocado. If you remember, I posted about the banana and avocado a while back and some of you mentioned a smoothie with the two combined. I haven’t tried that yet, but they are definitely a great combo. It’s one that I would never have thought of without my Brazilian-blogger-friend suggestions. Thanks!

I loved the candied fruit, too. I’ve had candied pumpkin before, but this time I got to try papaya. It is incredibly sweet, but I love the combination of spices like clove and cinnamon. If someone has a tip for how to make this, let me know. I can’t figure out if dried or fresh fruit is used.

So there you have it. I love vegetarian food in Maringa! You can’t get much better than all the fresh produce around here and this place brought out its best qualities. I’ll be returning again and again.

So there you have it. I love vegetarian food in Maringa! You can’t get much better than all the fresh produce around here and this place brought out its best qualities. I’ll be returning again and again.


1 comment:
Your fare from Dubom looks very appetizing. Like you, I'm not a vegetarian but I tend to eat about 50% of my meals without meat. So, I guess I'm more of a flexitarian. Your new find makes me want to go to http://tinyurl.com/c9s5fu for some Risoto Vegetariano.
Post a Comment