My husband told me about two very interesting food practices around here that I was not previously aware of.
In a conversation at work earlier this week his coworkers were discussing how they put their bananas in the microwave to heat them up before eating them.
Hmmm…this doesn’t sound too bad to me at all. Maybe a better alternative to my fried banana addiction (although I haven’t had one in a while!).
Second, in his office the other day someone brought in some avocados. His coworkers were dipping pieces of them in sugar and then eating them.
I was aware that avocados (abacate) are used here as a sweet, like in desserts. Not so common in the savory form such as guacamole or on sandwiches like we do in the States. However, I had never heard of eating them dipped in sugar.
Ahh, the learning never ceases.
PS. Happy Anniversary to my parents!!!
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


11 comments:
Hi Lori!!! I was just telling people at my job about this the other day. I do this a lot with Bananas, I heat them up, they get really hot so I mash them and put some cinnamon on top and eat it... it's a very good dessert!
And about avocados, the ones in Brasil are much bigger than the ones here. I remember when I was a kid, my mom and dad alwyas gave us avocados, they would cut them in half, take the seed (that round black part) out and we would sprinckle sugar all over the avocado, and dig in with a spoon. It's soooo yummy! I still didn't get used to the way americans and mexicans eat avocado... haha
Wow, I never ever heard about warming bananas up...but I guess then it'd be a Brazilian thing since you heard about it there and Nani also knows about it. That doesn't sound good at all to me hehe, although I love fried bananas. My dad used to mash bananas and mix with honey and oatmeal. I love the avocados mashed with a lit bit of sugar and some lime drops.
I never really liked avocados in Brazil. My mom used to put it in a blender with milk and sugar - like a smoothie. I rather eat it as guacamole or in my sandwich.
hmmm... avocados with sugar! And in the blender with sugar and milk is like heaven! I miss that!
never heard about the bananas in the microwave though, must be a new thing.
yummm Sidnei used to make me avocado shakes..I had never had them as sweet either until them, but I LOVED it.
Nani - That actually sounds great. I think I need to start having a warm banana for dessert. The avocados here are huge compared to the Haas ones we get the US. I couldn't believe it was an avocado the first time I saw one!
Fernanda - Honey and oatmeal sounds good. I'll have to try that. Still not sure about the avocado, but I am going to give it a try.
Vivi - I have a hard time picturing me liking it sweet, but I'll try it. I just love them on my veggie sandwiches and as a spread on bread.
Elaine & Mrs. S - I think I'm going to try them just sprinkled with sugar before going with the full blown smoothie. :) It might become my new favorite thing, who knows? :)
How about AVOCADO AND BANANA SMOOTHIE?? That's how my dad likes it. He puts avocado, bananas, milk and suger in the blender and wow... it's good. It's very thick, my dad calls it "vitamina de bananda e abacate" (banana and avocado vitamin).
You know, people here made a funny face when I told them about the avocado with sugar.. they think it's the most disgusting thing, haha.
people eat avocados inside bread?? Is that even legal? lol
well... I cant complain, since I like to make sandwiches with bananas and condensed milk. Haha.
But I never heated a banana in the microwave. Must be some west Paraná thing.
Nani - Now that sounds interesting. Full of vitamins for sure.
Aces - Our version is a peanut butter and banana sandwich. Ha, ha! Oh man, a grilled veggie sandwich avocado. Heaven. :)
Post a Comment