Last Friday, I was out running some errands in the morning and swung by a gas station in my hometown for some coffee. As I was looking for the trash can at the “coffee station” the guy next to me said he would take it because the trash can was on his side. Then he proceeded to tell me that I would get my coffee for less if I brought my own cup.
I explained that I was from out of town (and without a travel mug). I then learned he had just moved to our small town from Maine. At telling him I lived abroad, he volunteered that he had just gotten settled after being a sniper in our navy. He’d seen 32 countries and one of them he was stationed in was Austria.
Well, you have to know that led to more conversation, because I love Vienna! Turns out Salzburg is his favorite city in the world and after hearing him talk about it, I’m headed there soon for sure.
Okay, so blah, blah, blah. Why am I telling you all this?
Well, for no other reason than the fact that I miss those kinds of conversations so much; the casual kind of friendly conversation where you just start talking to the person next to you in line.
This guy ended up being incredibly interesting with something in common and not the lady who wants to tell me all about her kids, or worse, her medical ailments, but I miss conversations all the same.
Even with the Portuguese I understand, these kinds of conversations are impossible for me in a different country. I can’t even describe the feeling I get standing in a grocery store line when someone says something to me and I don’t know how to respond. It is really upsetting for me. I want to engage in conversation where the focus isn’t me being a gringa. Obviously the conversation above included my Brazil experience, but you know what I mean in general.
In a perfect world, I would bust into a Portuguese conversation with the lady in line next to me at the mercado, but that isn’t going to be happening anytime soon. I am glad that this experience has taught me to appreciate little things like this. I’m surprised something that seems so little and insignificant has proved to be something that tops my “miss from home” list.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
It is definetly amazing the little things that we take for granted!!!
In Chile I can't do that either, and not because of the language...it's just not the social norm and if you try to strike up a convo, you'll probably get a cold or very limited response.
I definitely miss that about the U.S. too!
Mrs. S - I seem to find more of those things everyday with this experience. :)
Kyle - I can totally understand that. I've read a lot of what you've written about interaction there. I think people would be more friendly in Brazil, but just the social barriers, not even the language, make it difficult.
Word. I love that about the States. Just chatting about nonsense and also not having to censor what you say when you do chat with strangers. And I agree with Kyle that here in Chile, well at least in Santiago, and the other big cities, I don't chat much with strangers. People are often cold. And they could take advantage of you if you say the wrong thing. If I do end up chatting with a stranger, I highly censor what I say, not including any info about where I live, where I'm going, where I came from, among other things.
The smaller and especially the remote towns in Chile are full of such nice people that I think you can chat freely with them. But I am far away from there.
Maeskizzle - Sorry, I missed responding to your comment somehow. The big city makes a big difference. Around here I think people are more open to it, but like you, I just worry about saying the wrong thing. I also always have my guard up. I'm careful not to give personal info.
Post a Comment