Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Everyone Should Have the Chance Experience…

I’m not sure why this post topic popped in my head a few weeks ago. I just started thinking about all the things I’ve had the chance to experience in the past few years. This includes the fun, stressful, comfortable and unfamiliar. It is amazing how both the good and bad influence us in positive ways as humans. Some of the things I’ve experienced have occurred during my travels and others during this ex-pat adventure.

In this life I think everyone should experience…

the discomfort of being in a place where you don’t speak or understand the language.

an afternoon with someone you do not share a language with - an example of the true power of laughter.

dealing with foreign currencies.

the food of a another country made by the people of that country in the country.

eating at a place abroad that evokes thoughts of food safety and health department regulations.

being humbled by someone who speaks 5 languages apologizing to you because their English is “not very good”. Meanwhile you don’t speak a word of any of the 5 languages in which they are fluent.

Have any to add to my list?

4 comments:

Mamacita Chilena said...

Everyone at one point should have the chance to miss their home country so bad it makes them cry, because then you'll never take it for granted again.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Kyle - That one is excellent! I am in that boat. I might get frustrated when I'm there, but I don't think I'll ever complain like I used to. My appreciation has grown so much.

Audrey said...

Great list! This one made me laugh out loud:
eating at a place abroad that evokes thoughts of food safety and health department regulations.

To add to this list: Being invited for tea or a meal by a local stranger who has almost nothing, but genuinely wants to share what he has with you. It's very humbling and a poignant reminder about humanity and generosity.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Audrey - Such a great addition! We are constantly being exposed to gracious hosts here.