Friday, January 23, 2009

First Stop, Açukapé

Last weekend we headed out to the feira. I hadn’t been to the Sunday one before. There was a great selection, but despite the fact that for the past 2 months I have been in a place where paying $1 an apple was the norm, I thought the prices were a little higher than normal. Regardless, they were still a lot cheaper than the US and I stocked up during my first chance to get back to Brazil’s produce.

I’ve written a lot about the bakeries around here, but I don’t think I’ve told you about Açukapé. I had only been there once, yet it was the first bakery I wanted to go back to upon my arrival in Maringa. Fortunately for us they are open on Sunday.

One reason we like this place is because their pastries remind us a little of Anker in Vienna. They make a misto croissant that already has the ham and cheese wrapped up inside unlike the sandwich form most other bakeries make. While not like a French-style croissant it has a character all its own and beats any breakfast sandwich you can get in the States.


Their coffee is also the real thing. I posted a while back about the traditional way to make coffee and they do it here. Your cup is filled by pouring the coffee through the cloth filter. It is amazing what a difference this makes.

Their sweets are so good! They make the best sonho which is like a donut split in half and filled with goiaba, doce de leite or crème. They roll the donut-like part in cinnamon sugar which, well, makes it taste like home to me. We got doce de leite this time, but I’d have to say crème is my favorite.


This time we also tried a cookie. My best guess is that it was made with cornmeal and anise. I’m not a huge fan of Brazilian cookies, but this thing was great!


Açukapé is what I consider (after comparing it to other places in town) a much more traditional Brazilian café. You know I love the modern, the sleek, the updated and there are a few places like that around here now. However, I think Açukapé rates as my favorite café in town. Their pastries are some of the best and as you watch all the men standing at the bar drinking their coffee you get a true feel for the way of life here.

6 comments:

Ray Adkins said...

Lori,

That bakery sounds great!
You know one of the things we learned while in Brazil is how rich the Portuguese culture is related to baked goods and pastries in general.
We always thougt the French lead the way when you are talking about bread or baked goods, but after knowing the "Padarias" in Sao Paulo, which are ALL owed by Portuguese immigrants, you see how the Portuguese have mastered the art of bread and pastries.
The sandwich you are refering to is very popular in Sao Paulo and we even knew the times they were made, so we ran to the bakeries and got them hot, they also make them with "Linguica Calabresa" and many other meats and variations...
We have some Portuguese and Italian bakeries here in Rhode Island as well but people mostly buy stuff at grocery stores so the bakeries are not everywhere like in Sao Paulo.
The coffee made with cloth really is better.
We quit using coffee filters many years ago because they use bleach in the manufacturing process.
So, we opted for the "French Press" ( which doesn't use filters) or the Italian "Kettle" which is another type of filterless coffee making process.
You made me remember "sonhos", those are really, really great...also better when you get them super fresh at the bakeries...

Vivi DiLopes Adams said...

Oh, the bakeries! If I had a lot of money, I would open one here in the States!

Nani said...

I love the bakeries in Brasil. The "Padarias" are awesome!
But of all the those things they sell I miss the "french bread" (pao frances) the most. I used to have them with butter in the morning and late afternoons... hummmm.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Ray - I do love the bakeries here. I have learning to do more French press coffee on my list. I enjoy it like that and should do it more at home.

Vivi - I think you'd make a ton there! We are always looking for unique bakery foods. I would love it! :)

Nani - I read your comment just before I went to a BBQ yesterday. We had pao frances there and I thought of your comment. :) I like it too.

Rogério Penna said...

whats the difference between a cookie and a biscuit?

is Oreo a cookie or a biscuit?

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Aces - An Oreo is considered a cookie. We would call anything like the yellow one I have pictured in this post a cookie.

In the US a biscuit is typically a breakfast food (sometimes dinner too). Alone it is savory, not sweet. Like a round, dense bread. We have it with things like breakfast sandwiches, biscuits and gravy and often fried chicken at dinner time. It is also often eaten with butter and jam.

http://www.joyofbaking.com/Biscuits.html

Also, we often call dog treats, dog biscuits.