Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Travel is a Constant

Sifting through all the food blogs I read, last week I commented on one that was about travel. Basically I said that travel is a constant in my life. Since then, I’ve been thinking about that statement.

I fall a bit in the middle as a traveler. I’m not at the extreme of being on a plane every week, but having been in 7 countries and roughly 15 cities last year; I travel more than the average person. I’m not sure how I got to this point, but travel is a constant in my life.

Do I like this? You better believe it! This is one part of my life that I absolutely love! I rarely have that feeling that I don’t want to go anywhere or I’d just rather stay home. That might happen on the occasional weekend, but when it comes to travel or not to travel I will pick travel every time.

Lives change, tragedy happens, we move through the stages of this life gaining more responsibility for things and other people as we go. I truly appreciate this time in my life. Going on a trip simply means, checking the budget, maybe sacrificing a few things I don’t really need, and booking the ticket.

This experience abroad has put me in the stage of my life where being unsettled is the norm. At first it bothered me, but now, it is just life. Sleeping on flights (or not, in my case), layovers in airports, hotel rooms – it really doesn’t bother me as much as it used to. It is a small price to pay for beautiful scenery, amazing food and foreign cultures.

I’d love to hear about how travel influences your life. Have anything you want to share?

Speaking of travel, I’m headed off to Brazil and more importantly, my husband. I’ll be back to the blog early next week.

4 comments:

Nani said...

Hi Lori! Thank you for "stopping by" even when you are busy traveling and having fun! hehe

Bryan and I have this big thing in common, we both love to travel. We just wish we had more money and more time off, since in America people olny get 2 weeks (maximum) of vacation, in Brasil is a whole month, I miss that haha.

But we both have this passion. Bryan lived abroad before, in Austria, I think I told you this before... his dream is to live there again one day, and travel as much as he can around Europe, and ofr course, I am following him. I haven't been to many places abroad, only USA and Mexico, but have been to many places inside Brasil.

I remember saying that I wanted to live 6 months in each place, all abroad.
The experience a person gains living abroad is so rewarding. you learn so much about those places and so many things about yourself that you wouldn't even know if you lived your whole life in the same place. I don't mean just living abroad, but travelling too.

Life is made of memories, and travelling is the best way to collect these moments.

Audrey said...

Having been on the road for over two years, I definitely fall on the extreme side of the travel spectrum. Right now the constant movement and change is still exciting and stimulating - my heart still skips a beat each time we show up for a bus or flight to somewhere new. This style of living is right for my husband and I at the moment, but I could not keep this up forever. Even after we become more stable, I do know that travel will always be a part of my life.

Have a safe trip back to Brazil and seeing your husband again!!

Fernanda said...

Hey Lori! I love this sentence on your blog: "The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page". - St. Augustine
I haven't travel as much as I would like to, just because of financial reasons...but I dream to go to many, many places. I even though about working for an irline company just to have travel benefits hehe. Have a safe trip!

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Thanks for the well wishes for my travel, everyone! I arrived back to Brazil on Friday afternoon.

Nani - So well stated! Traveling is an awesome way to collect amazing memories. I'm a huge believer that living abroad and traveling teaches you so much and makes you a more understanding person.

I can understand Bryan's love for Austria. Vienna is still my favorite city and I hope to see more of the country. I truly hope you all will get the chance to go there someday soon!

Audrey - I think what you all are doing is so interesting and inspiring. I definitely see what you are saying about not being able to keep up that pace. The excitement is what keeps me in love with travel. I have to have change in my surroundings to stimulate me and I think that is why I love travel so much.

Fernanda - I've thought about that lifestyle too. It would be such a great way to see so many places.

Even if you haven't traveled much your experience living abroad gives you more than most people would have just traveling. You've had to go through the real challenges of understanding another culture. Some people can travel their whole lives and never truly experience that.