Friday, January 30, 2009

The Perfect Gift


I get a lot of towels. Hand towels to be exact. This seems to be the gift/prize of choice around here. I’m not exactly sure why. It is a nice gift, however, I have received them on the most random of occasions.

The green one was given to me at the Arabic restaurant in town when we decided to go there on what just happened to be International Women’s Day last year. It is kind of an odd feeling to have the waiter present you with a gift as you pay the bill.

Another I received at the gym. After my Body Balance class the teacher announced she had a gift. We all lined up, she closed her eyes and called a number. The person who was that number in line got the gift. That person was me and the gift was a hand towel with a pharmacy logo on it.

My most recent towel was given to me just last night. We headed out to have sushi. As we paid the bill here came my towel. I have no idea what the occasion was last night. IWD isn’t until March 8th this year. It was our 12 year dating anniversary, but I doubt Toyota or the restaurant knew that. Maybe they think we are in the market for a car since we always walk to the restaurant.

Thinking about it, it is a nice gift and a good way to market, I guess. I don’t know how cost effective it is considering the prices of towels here. It’s your typical double the price of the US for half the quality. However, at least we can use the towel, can’t do much with an ad flier.

3 comments:

corinne said...

Lori,

This has NOTHING to do with towels, but had to tell you that Maringa was featured on Bom Dia Brasil this morning (this is Globo's morning news show and is basically the equivalent of Good Morning America). Did you catch it? They were talking about the imprudence of drivers in Maringa, especially the motorcycles and had some really amazing footage of traffic violations (by the cars and motorcycles). Aparently 1 out of six accidents involves motorcycles. Globo's point was traffic incidents is no longer a big city problem.

Poofbegone said...

weird, same thing in Japan! Are there many Japanese immigrants there? Perhaps that's where they got the idea from! I have so many nice hand towels in Japan that people gave me as gifts, lol.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Corinne - Thanks for letting me know. I didn't see it, but I have friends who work for Globo here and sometimes they can send me clips.

At first I was like, the motos are much worse in Sao Paulo and then I read on to see your point of the story. Definitely a problem here, I agree with them. I've seen several moto accidents around here, one right outside our building.

kumichan - Interesting. Actually I am told the largest population of Japanese immigrants is right here in the north of Parana state. There is a very active club in Maringa for those of Japanese decent. Maybe that is where they got the idea. Ha, ha!