Late Friday afternoon I met a friend for coffee and she told me about the charity dog walk taking place over the weekend. I’ve been aching for some dog company lately so we made it a point to get up Saturday morning and head over to check out the action.
I wasn’t expecting a large group, but the turn out was huge. Guessing by the numbers on people’s stickers there were a little less than 200 in attendance.
Since the smaller Chihuahua type dogs and puffy breeds are popular around here there were some serious cases of little-dog syndrome going on. It always cracks me up when a dog with a head the size of my fist starts growling and showing its teeth. Some of them were a bit unhappy with the world.
The number of large dogs really surprised me. We saw several labs, some of which were therapy dogs. The breed variety was great too. Much larger than what I had expected around here.
I felt a bit like a loser walking around without a dog of my own, but the event still made my week.
The best part was the organization who hosted the event. APARU raises awareness about animal cruelty and helps protect street animals. You had to donate 1 kilo of food to participate in the event. I’m really looking forward to learning more about them and seeing if there are ways I can help.
Funny thing. When people registered they received a little packet with flyers, chew sticks and a little sealed sample cup of dry dog food. Hmmmm….
Just seemed kind of weird that you donate food and then they give you food back in your packet. Maybe it is just me. I think I would have turned around and donated the little cup back to them.
Oh, did I mention that we saw our neighbor there with their little poof ball that liked to use our hallway as a bathroom. Yeah, it was delightful to see them again.
The walk was a short one, just a few blocks and back again. Some little (and big) guys were pretty worn out by the time we were halfway into it. Many just plopped down in the middle of road and the owners picked them up and carried them on to the finish!
Some of the is information is cross-posted at http://charitymile.com/blog/


4 comments:
I had a Chihuahua when I was growing up. He was just under fifteen pounds, but he was the grumpiest thing I've ever seen alive. I wonder if it was because he was annoyed at being such a little dog.
Ha, ha! Sometimes I think that might be the case. There were definitely some grumpy ones there. I think they have to be tough cause they are so small. :)
How great to get your dog fix!! I hope that you can get involved with them more. What a great way to help and have more regular contact with dogs.
So cute! I love the pic of the dog on the scooter - Lola also rides the scooter and always gets lots of people pointing and smiling at her.
Post a Comment