Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Explaining My Interest in Alcohol

You may have noticed that I talk a lot about beer when I travel. I just want to clarify that I wasn’t stumbling around Europe drunk for 3 weeks.

To me alcoholic beverages are a huge part of the history of most cultures. Because of this, they have become a big focus in a lot of my traveling. That explains all the pictures of beer and visits to production facilities.

Whether it is beer, wine or spirits almost every country or culture has a signature drink that has an interesting history. Most say a lot about who they are and where they came from.

The wines of France, Italy and Chile.
Guinness and Irish Whiskey from Ireland.
Beers from Bavaria.
Cachaça from Brazil.
Rum from the Caribbean.

And where this interest all started for me – good ol’ Kentucky Bourbon.

You know I love to travel through food and exploring the history of drink is a big part of it for me too.

I think another part of it is my intrigue about how other cultures embrace the consumption of alcohol. In the US, it is all about over consumption and warnings about health risks.

Other countries have been drinking in a healthy manner throughout time. I just really enjoying learning about and tasting a historic product.

So cheers and here is a little preview from Vienna. More to come tomorrow.

Stephansdom
Volksgarden
Spanish Riding School

No comments: