Lucky for me this move to Brazil didn’t disrupt my loyal following.
Now before you start thinking I am a sell out who is hurting for a cultural experience, let me say that we thought long and hard about our decision to continue our US television habits here.
They offer a package in Maringá that does have some shows in English with Portuguese subtitles. Most of them are 2 to 3 seasons behind, but I did enjoy watching them at the hotel.
We questioned whether we should just get that and get engrossed in some Portuguese television. Were we not getting a true experience by trying to find US options?
Then we saw the price. Like everything else electronically driven here it was just way to expensive for what we would be getting. We’d be paying for channels we’d barely watch just to have a little English around the apartment.
So we went with option number 2.
We got a SlingBox.
This handy thing allows us to watch TV anywhere that the program is installed and the internet is fast enough. We've got family at home who have cable and TiVo so the SlingBox captures that programming and allows us to watch it on my laptop here in Brazil. It is possible to hook the laptop up to the TV and watch it, but normally we just make do with the laptop itself.
So I basically have all the options that our family in the US does. Even with the time changes I still get to watch all the new shows by recording them.
Honestly, I’m not sorry at all that we did this. I definitely watch a lot less TV than I did back home, but I have found what I do watch has been a comfort to me.
I used to watch CNN every morning while getting ready for work and now I can still do that while I work at my computer in the mornings. It’s allowed me to still have some of my familiar routines despite all the change we’ve gone through in the past year.
My husband would sum up the decision in one simple word – football.
He still gets to keep up with college football and the Big Ten while we are away. We watch plenty of futebol too, but the Americana version holds a lot of thoughts of home for us.
Autumn, college days, Thanksgiving. Like I said, it is actually quite comforting.
So, yes, when it comes to the whole TV thing, we cheat a little bit on our authentic experience and bypass what is available here. I do watch TV in Portuguese to help with learning the language, but I can’t say I’ve been able to really get into any shows.
We are definitely fortunate to have some of the best media entertainment in the US.


4 comments:
Since I have been out of the US for a while, it does not bother me to watch the delayed seasons on Brazilian cable. I went without cable for a long time and I am so glad that I have it now. Not that I was not into Brazilian TV, I can get as hooked on a novela as the next guy, but I love the cultural conection I get through US TV. But, as you point out, you don´t get college football (or basketball) and I miss that. I wish that there was a TiVo-like way to record the programming here in Brazil (besides spending thousands on a new TV).
I don´t think you should feel bad about the US TV. It is just not realistic to go cold turkey, shunning everything about your home culture. There is always a middle ground. I used to be much more rigid about "letting" myself do US things (eat at McD´s or TGIFridays´s, watch cable, etc.), but I have sinced eased up and really enjoy revelling a bit in US culture. It helps me stay balanced. As for Brazilian TV, there is not much of an offering, although the series by Globo (Grande Familia, Toma La de Ca) and another series on GNT called Mothern are really good. Also worth watching is Globo Reporter. The novelas are hit or miss, and the one right now is not all that popular (although the re-showing of Pantanal on SBT is worth watching).
Thanks for all the suggestions! I usually have the news on. Even if I can't understand fully what is going on, at least I can see some of it! :)
I think being connected with the US news is what is really important to me. I can read some of it online, but the global version of CNN doesn't pick up the more local stuff that the one out of Atlanta does.
I agree with you about the balance. There are good things about all cultures and that is what I like to concentrate on. I try to incorporate things, foods and practices from all the places I've lived or visited.
Lori,
Don't feel bad for a millisecond!
I could never stand more than 30 seconds of Brazilian TV...
We really loved the country, the culture is rich and diverse and very interesting but their TV is A B S O L U T E L Y horrible...
Agreeing with Corinne, I heard there are some good exceptions such as Globo Reporter a few Novelas, but Faustao ( Sundays), Gugu ( Sundays) are as bad as TV could ever get...
We didn't have the Sling Box option in our day but it does sound awesome...
For me, the biggest thing about American TV was that it did bring us comfort.
Ray
Thanks, ray. It is definitely nice to have with all of the funny fall shows starting up again. :)
Post a Comment