Monday, September 15, 2008

Prague: 5 CZK, Vienna: 0.5 Euro, Budapest: 50 HUF

Well, there was one small thing I forgot to calculate into our travel budget. It can actually turn into quite a big thing. I knew about it, experienced it before, but it slipped my mind.

Yes, I am talking about paying to pee.

This is one of those small details that I am convinced is a gold mine for those collecting the money.

I am also convinced that there is a bit of psychology going on here. There is something about paying and worrying about finding a decent bathroom that makes you want to go each time you come across one.

More money in their pocket.

I am happy to pay when the bathrooms are clean, but I have been to plenty that definitely don’t put their earnings towards a cleaning staff.

I do have to say that Brazil wins hands down for clean public restrooms.

I am just glad that I come from a place and am living in a place where it is free to pee.

6 comments:

corinne said...

except in the bus station. Most Brazilian bus stations charge you to pee - but at least most of them are clean!!

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Ha, ha! Very good to know!

Ray Adkins said...

Lori,

One thing we brought out of our experience from Brazil is how clean the restrooms and kitchen's are in public places.
Have you noticed how every restroom and kicthen in Brazil have drains on the floor?
It is a Brazilian culture habit to wash down tiled walls and floors with a lot of water, soap and even bleach on a daily basis, principally in malls, restaurant, schools and other public places, many times if you enter a Brazilian bathroom in the morning you can smell the bleach and notice sparkling clean sinks, toilets and walls...
There is a law in Sao Paulo that every restaurant kitchen has to be available for public visitation at any moment!
So, if you are ever in a Sao Paulo restaurant feel free to ask the manager to show his kitchen, they are usually proud to show you how clean and well organized it is...many restaurants built glass walls and or windows so customers can look in the kitchens without having to walk in it...
I never saw a paying toilet in Brazil! My only paying toilet was the Dallas downtown Bus station, circa 1990!
Didn't notice them in Budapest, I will be carrying change now in Portugal and Spain on my coming trip.


Ray

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Yeah, I definitely know when we get to the ATL airport by the bathrooms. One thing that always gets me are that the cleaners in Brazil are actually pleasant and happy, usually humming. :)

The cleaning is similar in Maringa although I will say we do wonder about the scrubbing of the concrete. :) Definitely take some change. The Dublin area doesn't charge, but everywhere else I've been does. Have a great time on your trip!

Jul said...

Ah, you should see the public restrooms in Switzerland! Not only are they free, but super-clean, even when you're in a park or something and just know it's going to have a gross bathroom... surprise! You can practically hear classical music playing.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Hi Jul! Thanks for your comment. That is good to know. Free and clean! Seems to good to be true. :) We do plan to make it there someday.