Wednesday, September 10, 2008

It's Her Birthday Again

Today I have to admit I am a bit sad. It is our precious pug's 6th birthday, the second birthday I have missed since living in Brazil.

The topic of dogs comes up a lot when we talk to my husband's coworkers or anyone else interested in the expat experience. Upon telling them we left Macy with our family the response is often, "I could never do that."

Well, I didn't think I could either, but after committing to this adventure we realized it was better for her health and safety that she stay in the States.
She is well taken care of and spends her days in the company of her favorite Golden Retriever.

I honestly miss her everyday and after a year I still can hear her little nails clicking on the tile.

I get to see her in December though and I can't wait. Sometimes I think I offend my family a bit because I express how much I miss her more than I do them!

We'll just say it is equal.

Happy 6th Birthday Macy Mae!



Photo credit goes to my niece who took all these great pictures this summer.

7 comments:

Emily said...

She's such a cutie, especially in that last pic. I really admire you for being able to do this...you're probably right that it's better for her, but it must be hard. Literally every day that we were in the US Rodolfo and I turned to each other and said "I miss Lola," and we were only gone for a month. But it's not too long until you get to see your little one again!

corinne said...

I have seen the pet issue handled both ways. My friends who did a year in Buenos Aires did not take their two dogs, but I brought my dog and later my mom did too when she moved with us (3 more). Of course, our move was not temporary and I think that makes a difference.

It has not been hard having the dogs in Brazil - my Corgi even spent a couple months in the favela, but it does require a little more work.

So, I guess every case is different. It definitely adds an additional layer of stuff to figure out for the move (the paperwork for them to come down is a pain).

I know my friend ended up not taking her dogs back after Buenos Aires (they had just had a baby and it was a bit much to deal with).

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

emily - Isn't it amazing how they capture our hearts? I'm sure Lola is glad you are back!

corinne - The fact that it is temporary is a huge issue. I really don't think I could have left her for good. She is just too important in my life.

I had done all the research and was ready to bring her, then we decided it was best not to. If it had been any other breed we might have done it, but she was too big to be in the cabin and her flat face caused issue with being under the plane.

There was only one carrier in the US that would actually accept pugs for transport. Then there was the issue of her being in a kennel in Brazil while we were in the States during long sessions of travel. I just wasn't comfortable with that.

Mamacita Chilena said...

How adorable! now that I have a dog I can definitely relate to how much you love her. I know I am going to miss Papito way more than anything or anyone else in Chile. But like you've mentioned, temporary is the key.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

I saw your post on Tonic and meant to comment, but got sidetracked. I wanted to say 'welcome to the world of dog lovers.' :) Ha, ha!

They are awesome company, especially for us writers who hang out at home a lot. :)

Nani said...

Que fofa!!! So cute!!! I love dogs, and I understand how you feel having left her in the States. I had to leave my dogs (I had 2) in Brazil with my parents, since I was coming to be an au pair... but ended up staying. I couldn't go back for 4 years (long story), and on the second year I was here one of my doggies died, but he was old already, the other one is still there, and after 4 years being in America I was finally able to go back home and see my family and my dog (the one left), and the most incredible thing was that even after 4 years as soon as he saw me he jumped on me with such an exciment.... I loved it. He still remembered me after all that time. I miss him (them) so much. I thought about bringing him with me, but he is also old, my mom said it would be really hard on him to have go through a drastic change. So they kept him.

Lori, I came to thank you for the positive words and for the compliment. It means a lot to me to know that I am getting better in english. Specially after feeling so depressed trying to understand biology (speaking of which, I will have my first exam tomorrow!). My english is not perfect but I do have more facility to write about normal things, day-to-day things than to write essays or technical projects for school, that's really hard.
But I am trying hard and it's not as scary as I thought it was at first.
We will see how it goes.

Thanks again for your support.

By the way, I loved the pictures of your trip. I can't wait until Bryan and I go to Europe. I've never been there. And he's crazy to go back. It will take a while though.

I gotta go to bed now, and let my brain process all that biology information... arghhhh

:)

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

elaine - I don't think they ever forget us. I am sure he misses you, but the important thing is he is well taken care of, especially in his old age.

I hope the exam goes well. I'll say a prayer for your success.