They remind me a lot of the Dogwood trees in the US, except for the fact that they are much larger. They look so unique among all the palm trees in the park over by Avenida Brasil. I’m not sure of their name so maybe someone can help me with that.
It is worth it for the view, though. While the green is beautiful here, you really see very little color except for a flower every now and then. This splash of color is a welcomed site, kind of brightens the mood.


2 comments:
Lori,
This tree is called "Ype", it is very popular in Brazil, I absolutely love it, it is my favorite tree in the whole world, my home town, Sao Bernardo do Campo in the metro area of Sao Paulo has them everywhere is it is really beautiful this time of the year.
You took great pictures of some beautiful ligh pink ones, but as you probably know they also have purple, yellow and strong pink.
I am a tree lover and if you have any other tree or plant questions I will be glad to help you.
FYI, we have only found "Ype" in Florida, and for some reason they only have "Ype Amarelo" or the "Yellow Ype", they need a cool season to blossom beatiful, so you won't find them where the weather is too hot like Miami, but we saw them in Northern Florida and Tampa, they will sustain light frost so you might be able to find them all over the South of the US.
We have two dogwoods in front of our property here in Rhode Island and they were really beautiful this past Spring, we almost cut them last year because they looked sick, but surprisinly enough they recovered on their own and blossomed beautifully.
Take care
Ray Adkins
Thanks so much for the info. I definitely enjoy seeing them around town. They are beautiful.
Post a Comment