Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th of July!

The 4th of July - the perfect representation of summer in the US. Since I didn’t arrive in Brazil until August last year, this marks my first 4th away from home. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little bummed about it.

Since I was a kid the 4th has always been one of the best parts of summer. Pool parties, cookouts and barbeques (the US kind with hamburgers, hot dogs, potato chips, homemade ice cream and smores), fresh corn and tomatoes from the garden, burning your hand with sparklers and having older brothers launch those poppers at you to see if they would explode on your leg. Not all things were perfect.

Well, I’m here now so I’ll have to enjoy the holiday from afar. I’ll have to try to pull out an all-American meal tonight from these Brazilian ingredients available. I think I can do it. My husband and I are actually going to a party that a wife of his coworker is holding for her class. We are supposed to talk about the 4th so since he got us into it I told him he can talk about the history and I’d take over the discussions about food and fireworks.

Fortunately, not all is bad. Last week the hot air balloons were here. Apparently they come every year and they filled the skies with their colorful display, not to mention their somewhat dangerous stunts of weaving in and out of the buildings in the city.

It was great to see them, though. It reminded me of summer at home – which is weird because it is winter here. Whatever! This whole southern hemisphere thing is confusing!

Happy 4th of July to all those honoring the holiday! This experience of living abroad has given me a better understanding of what it means and why I should celebrate.

2 comments:

Ray Adkins said...

Lori,

Happy 4th, I was wondering if you ( Americans in Brazil) celebrated the popular holiday.
We are going summer 4th of July all the way, chips, hamburgers, fresh strawberries, corn and tomatoes from the garden and fire works going off all over the place, even if they are illegal here in Rhode Island, people drive to Connecticut and New Hamphire to buy it...dog is under tranquilizer...
Well, at least make sure to enjoy the Brazilian independence on September 7th!!!


Take care

Ray Adkins

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

We definitely didn't have the same celebration as we would at home, but I did have a nice day at an English school. My husband gave a presentation about the 4th and we even had hot dogs. :)

Yes, it is common practice to drive to a state line to get the good fireworks. Tennessee was always the place to go for people in our area. I hope your celebration was great. My dog hates all the noise too. Stresses her out quite a bit.