Tuesday, July 29, 2008

One Year and Counting

You can probably tell by the title what this post is about. Yep, I have now been living in Brazil for a year.

We all know time flies so I won’t go on and on about how I can’t believe it has been a year already. The truth is there have been days when time passed with a blink of an eye and days when I felt this experience was the longest of my life.

I did some creative thinking last week about some of both the good and bad things I recognize after being a year into this journey. I’m not at a point where I want to reflect on the experience as a whole. I’ll do that at the end of year two.

I can step back and say that there have been great adventures, fun times, new friends, struggles and sadness. I’ve always been taught to start with the positive, but this time I think I’d rather end on a good note for the things that are yet to come. So here you have the not-so-good and the good.

The Not-So-Good

Speaking
I am sad to say that I still don’t know Portuguese. Yes, I can answer questions and I recognize words, but I certainly don’t understand as much as I should. This makes me disappointed in myself.

Others have suggested that there are reasons including – I’ve lived here a year, but spent a significant amount of time in the US visiting family and friends (13 weeks to be exact), I’m not in a situation where I’m forced to speak the language daily and I don’t watch TV in Portuguese.

Hopefully, it will change soon. I signed up for private lessons last week. I’m already wishing that this was what I had done in the first place. After only 3 private lessons I recognize that the group classes I had before were not nearly as effective.

Personal Bubble Issues
I still have personal bubble issues, but I am more tolerant, I think. Now let me explain. I’m not talking about greetings – hugs, kisses – I don’t mind. It is the person literally breathing on your neck as you wait in line at the grocery store that gets to me. I just prefer space from strangers.

Heat
As much as I try to enjoy it, the heat is still unbearable to me. I am not looking forward to round two at all. If I had a pool or beach this would be a different story. I am thankful I have all the trees in this city for shade though. Now, if they would only plant a huge one right in front of our building so it would reduce the afternoon scorch I’d be good.

Travel Expectations
I have gotten to see several places here within a year’s time – Foz (twice), Sao Paulo state, Curitiba, Londrina and Floripa. That is actually a pretty decent list. There are just a ton of places, mostly in the north, that I thought for sure I would get to see and I don’t think it is going to happen.

There are a lot of factors – schedules, lack of holidays this year, cost – I’ve even traded some opportunities to travel here for travel other places which I’m happy with. There is just still a feeling of disappointment that I’ll miss seeing most of this country. However, a lot can happen in a year so we’ll see.

The Good

A Settled Apartment
Considering that it took 6 months to completely move into the apartment with all that we needed, this is a much bigger deal than it might first appear. The endless days of waiting for furniture, the repair of the kitchen floor and the install then re-install of the ACs and internet are now behind me. Sometimes this is much more unbelievable me than the fact that I’ve been here a year!!

Shortcuts and Street Names
It is definitely nice when you get to know a city. I’m happy to say that I actually know several street names and areas of town. When I’m out and about I’ve recognized a few short cuts to save me walking time as well. Knowing your way around can make a place feel more like home even if it is for a short time.

Cafés and Padarias
Despite the fact that Europe will always hold a special place with me when it comes to bakeries and cafés, I am beginning to enjoy those I have available here. I’ve had some really great breads and pastries and, of course, great coffee. I miss the relaxing atmosphere that I am used to at these types of places, but I’ve learned to ignore the madness of people rushing around and create my own coffee break.

Less Looks
I think I get stared at a little less when I am out. This could be due to one of three things. It is actually happening less, I was overly sensitive to it before and noticed it much more, or I’ve just become immune to it and it doesn’t bother me anymore.

New Career
I’ve mentioned my switch to freelance writing throughout this living abroad experience. Not a day goes by that I am not happy about the fact that I don’t have to go into an office. This is definitely the right move for me.

So Saúde, Prost, Na zdraví, Sláinte and Cheers!

Here’s the passing of one year and the start of another.

12 comments:

Ray Adkins said...

Lori,

The "personal space" issue also irritated us in Brazil.
However I just recently visited Budapest, Hungary and noticed exactly the same thing...
We terribly miss the Brazilian bakeries and coffee houses.
Getting ready for the Blueberry harvest here in Rhode Island.
I wish you a great second year.

Cheers

Ray

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Hi Ray,

I am so jealous of the blueberry harvest! :) Sounds great.

I do realize that the personal space issue isn't solely a Brazilian thing. I've experienced it in Europe. I guess it is just that I have never experienced for such an extended length of time before! :) We are headed to Budapest later this year so I will be prepared!

Thanks for the good wishes.

Mamacita Chilena said...

Haha Lori, I think you are just immune to the looks. I too thought that I was getting less looks, thinking that I was blending in a little more. Until I was with a Chilean friend and she was like, wow, people really stare at you don't they? Soooo, I guess I don't blend in as much as I thought :)

Congrats on making it through a year. It only gets easier from here on out.

Ray Adkins said...

Lori,

Regardless what hotel you stay, make sure to visit the Royal Corithian Hotel in Budapest, they have a great coffee shop with public access.
You like to cook, make sure and buy paprika, their paprika is 100 times fresher and better than anyother we have ever tried.
Forget low fat eating, they looove their butter, goose liver pate, whole milk only, forget skim milk and 2% percent they won't know what you are talking about, and all the fat you can eat in everything, did I mention butter? not the little thin squares we are used to see back home, big blocks of butter available everywhere, the bread is also great their food is wonderful.
Make sure you try the warmed rice with milk and cinammon they serve for breakfast, which is another European tradition I saw in Brazil brought by the Hungarian immigrants.
You will love Budapest.

Ray

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Kyle - I think you are probably write. We traveled to a different city this past weekend and my husband said he noticed more staring. Oh well, stare away!!

Ray - Thanks so much for the tips. We will only have a little over 24hrs there, but plan to fit in a lot. I'm really looking forward to the visit.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Yeah I meant 'right.' Did I mention I'm a freelance writer? Ha!!

Elaine Bittencourt said...

I can relate to the "personal space" issue. It's one thing that I don't miss at all. I also appreciate, here, when people call before instead of just showing up at your door, they don't ask embarrassing questions about your life, and don't bring people you don't know when you invite them for parties (although, if you live among Brazilians here, they will do that! LOL).

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

I am all about the things you mentioned! I'm glad to hear that other people (especially Brazilians) feel the same way about some of my never ending 'issues'. :)

Elaine Bittencourt said...

=)
you see, I believe in respecting boundaries.
But in all fairness, it's not that Brazilians are not respectful, it's a cultural thing. And it's also a matter of having an open mind and not just labeling a culture or a country as "wrong" when they are only different.

I lost count of the many times I heard "Canadians are cold". They are not cold. They are different.

I also lost count of the many times I was called rude and strange and weird and Brazilian-hater just because I like my privacy.

Elaine Bittencourt said...

oh, and before anyone thinks that I became like that after I moved here, nope, I was the same way while living in Brazil.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

I know. I completely agree. Brazil certainly is not the only culture that is comfortable with less personal space. I've been places in Europe that are the same.

I hope that I haven't come across that I feel it is wrong. I only mean to say that I personally don't like it.

I would add to your list the perception that I am rich because I am from the US. Most stereotypes have more exceptions than those that follow the rule.

Elaine Bittencourt said...

No worries, you haven't come across that way. My comment was not directed to you personally, kwim?

I really enjoy seeing my country through your eyes. We take so many things for granted, which is not a negative thing, it's just that when you live in a place for a long time you just don't notice little things.
HUGS!