I’ve been speaking a lot about my favorite sandwich shops lately. I guess most people experiencing Brazil would choose another food topic to marvel over. However, for me it took a while to actually find sandwiches around here so I'm glad for the opportunity to enjoy them.
They were often my lunch of choice when I did go out back home and I really missed them once we moved down. As you know now, I’ve found quite a few great tasting options so I am no longer deprived.
There is one more small issue, though.
As we sat at Açaizeiro the other night my husband made the comment.
“Just a sandwich.”
This had often crossed my mind, but I had never thought much about it.
The point I’m getting at is when you order a sandwich you get that and only that. There are no sides that come with it like what we are used to in the US.
Typically you get chips with any sandwich back home. If you are at a more health conscious establishment you might get to choose fruit or pasta salad. If you are at a sit down restaurant you might have the choice of fries, or maybe those tasty homemade chips.
I’m not saying this is a terribly bad thing. It just took a while to stop feeling a tiny bit deprived when all that was on the plate was the sandwich itself.
It is probably a good thing portion-wise. The sandwiches are plenty for a meal -they usually are in the US as well. We have just become so used to these extras that they are part of the sandwich experience.
Oh well, a few calories saved is a good thing, I guess. However, sometimes I do wish there were a little something else on my plate to complete the meal. I guess it goes back to the variety thing again.
Friday, July 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment