Thursday, July 17, 2008

Gym Switch

For the second time in a row, we headed off for a Saturday morning workout this past weekend only to find the entire gym floor being hosed down by the cleaning ladies.

The girl at the front desk told us to go to the personal training studio to work out instead. So we walked in the room, looked around at the equipment and realized we were going to invest the whole morning there because the trainers would insist on teaching us how to use the different equipment. So we left.

Saturday is typically a regular workout day for us. Sunday would be too, but the gyms are closed then. Anyway, our gym used to be open from 9-12 on Saturday then they switched to 8-12. This was fine with us, no problem.

What is a problem, however, is that on Saturday mornings they clean the whole place. They can’t seem to wait until the gym is closed. They do it during their open hours.

Basically, if I pay for a gym membership I feel I should be able to come in and workout when they are open. Seems logical, right? Instead, every Saturday we have to skip equipment and wade through the water as the cleaners scrub the floor.

It was time for a change. We walked down to a gym a bit further away from our apartment and were happy to find that they were less expensive, had better cardio equipment and a larger workout area. So they now have our business. I might add that it is an incredibly positive thing that you don’t sign contracts here. We just paid month to month.

Further, I am excited to say that they have an elliptical at the new gym! It is a bit large and awkward, but still an elliptical. It takes some getting used to because it seems to position the body in a different way then the ones I am used to back home, but I’m hoping it is some kind of magical design to give me a Brazilian butt. I’ll let you know how that works out.

One our first night there we were taken aback a bit as a trainer walked right up to us and started speaking English, a very nice and helpful guy. In fact, everyone is incredibly helpful. Not that they weren’t at our old gym, but it is nice that we didn’t end up at a bad place with unfriendly people.

We’ve had to go through the typical misconception as they think we have never worked out before. I usually end up telling them my background and they give me a little more freedom without hovering over my shoulder.

I don’t do this to appear as a know-it-all. I gladly accept any tips or help, especially on new equipment. They are just overly eager to set you up on a basic routine and I am a bit beyond that. Plus, I will say there are some exercises that are common here that I know are not safe. Then again, there are also some I see that I would definitely like to learn how to do. Speaking of that Brazilian area again.

So anyway, new gym, new (or new to me) elliptical and new motivation. It takes about 15 minutes out of my day to walk there and back, but I just add it to my cardio workout. I hope to try the spinning classes soon.

7 comments:

fp said...

hey! great blog, keep up the good work (came over here from freelanceswitch), feels cosy right from the start...

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Hi peta,
Welcome. Thanks for your comment. So glad you like the blog.

Chris Haney said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
fritz said...

"brazilian butt", lol, love it! i am going back and reading your whole blog as i'm very interested in visiting Brazil. it's just that many of the sites i visit concern me with their references to street crime. do you feel pretty comfortable moving about in the city?

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Hi fritz,
Thanks for your comment. Overall, Maringa is safe for walking around during the day. I don't go out walking by myself at night though. It depends are where you are living.

Many areas are much more dangerous than where we live. However, the precautions you should take are the same as you would in any moderately sized city around the world. You just have to get into the habit of not carrying your valuables out in the open.

fritz said...

thanks for the reply lori. besides the crime, one other concern i've read about is dengue, especially since mosquitoes really, really, really love me. do you take any special precautions esp. in the hot summers and since your city is further south?

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

There really isn't much you can do except wear bug spray. We haven't seen much of a problem with the severe cases in our area.