Thursday, July 3, 2008

Proper Air Conditioning

If there is one thing I will learn out of this whole experience of living in Brazil it will be to never, ever, ever take air conditioning for granted again.

Now this is a bit of an odd time to be concerned about AC since we are into comfortable weather here and the apartment is downright cool at times. I love it, by the way. I think it has something to do with everything being made of concrete, but when the building cools down it stays cool for a while. I’m enjoying having to wear a sweater in the apartment.

Anyway, my trip back to the States brought good AC to mind again. There is absolutely nothing like being outside on a hot, humid summer day and walking into a freezing cold house. It is wonderful!

I know that the lack of AC is not just a Brazil issue. The places I visited in Europe during the summer months lacked it as well because they are more concerned with keeping it warm in the winter, which is important.

However, I’ve never had to experience heat like in Brazil and been forced to sit in it for days at a time with no relief possible. I was to the point of going to the coffee shop and purposely sitting under the vent for a few hours to get some cooler air. Thanks goodness some businesses have it or it would really be horrible.

I don’t think I ever went into the saga that was involved in getting our wall mounted ACs put in the apartment. It was awful and I won’t bore you with details – a lot of chizzling through concrete, men dangerously hanging off our balcony, and redoing the whole thing once we found out they were in the wrong place.
Anyway, you would think all of that would be worth it for a cooler apartment. Umm, not really. They barely drop the apartment a degree, meaning it is typically about 80+ degrees F in here, August through April. The one in the bedroom drips – try sleeping with that noise. Water torture, I tell you!

In fairness, I will say that if I sit in one specific spot on the couch, I do get a short breeze of cool air when it is running.

I know we are lucky to have ACs at all and frankly I have no idea how people do without it completely. Yes, I survive, but it is awful to sit at a computer and poor sweat simply from typing on a keyboard.

As a result of all this when I was visiting the US, once the weather warmed up, I had no motivation to go outdoors in the heat of the day. I just sat in the living room enjoying the sound of the AC kicking on and off. Heaven!

Now that I’m back in Brazil I’m desperately hanging on to this cooler weather. I sadly look at each passing calendar day knowing that the oven which is my apartment is going to start heating up in the very near future. As spoiled and high maintenance as it makes me, I am not afraid to admit that I love proper air conditioning.

5 comments:

hermes said...

Usually apartments are cooler than houses, ´cause there is always another unit on top of yours....except the last floor or when your apartment faces west, which means oven temperatures for the afternoons and nights.
I think you should move to an apartment that doesn´t get any sun light! or how about getting an AC that has more BTUs?
enjoy the few more days of cool temperatures!
btw nice pics of the Ipês!

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Oh, we get the oven in the afternoons! :) I'm definitely enjoying the cooler weather. Today has been beautiful!!

Ray Adkins said...

Lori,

Funny you mention AC's, we first lived in Dallas ( AC heaven) and than ( Miami and Tampa ) AC heaven again...now we are living in Rhode Island...
Let me tell you something...people here don't really care for air conditioners either...our 1946 Cape Cod houses don't have them period...
The temperature here reached 100 degrees a couple of weeks ago and we ran to Sears for window unit ACs, along with a lot of other people, there was a croud of people waiting to buy ACs...
Now we have installed them on the windows...and it is getting better...
In Sao Paulo we don't have AC's either, but it never gets as hot as Maringa, I am sure, we are at 900 meters above the ocean, so it is coller there in the summer.
Enjoy your remaining cool days, we can't hardly wait for the fall here either...


Take care

Ray Adkins

Jame said...

I like your blog...really interesting perspective! I just had to comment on your AC post. I like in the Bay Area and in Oakland there is NO AC (except possibly buildings built in the last 5 years). so I am suffering with you in an 80 degree apartment. Year round. Even though it doesn't get past 80 too often. :)

Maringa weather sounds mysteriously like the inland Bay Area weather.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Hi jaded,
Thanks for your comment! That is really interesting about the similarities with the Bay Area. I didn't realize it was like that there.

We experienced similar situations when traveling to Europe in the summer. They are concerned with staying warm in the winter so no ACs even though it can get pretty hot in the summer.

I think the hardest thing for me here is that I have to deal with the 80+ from Sept through May. It is just a lot of heat for a long time! :) Although right now it is staying around 73 and it is great!