I thought about posting this link earlier this week, but decided not to because I figured many people who read my blog also read Adventures of a Gringa in Rio. She posted about an ad in the popular magazine Veja. One that it seems a lot of (US)Americans (from the comments) agree it is a bit culturally insenstive and politically incorrect.
I posted my thoughts based on my experiences and moved on. Then someone told me to check out the responses. It looks like someone out there really hates my guts. I think I even got slammed about my difficulties with the Portuguese language. I continue to find it so funny that people think they know you based on the blog you write and your views on one particular subject in this world.
Just wanted to remind everyone I write this blog based on my personal experiences comparing where I've come from and where I am. I don't feel any culture is superior, I'd probably agree with the many complaints other ex-pats have of the good ol' USofA. For all those who write ex-pat blogs, I can't say I feel anything we say based on our feelings is ever wrong, simply how we feel.
Check out the link and see what you think. Have a great weekend everyone!!
Friday, October 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


16 comments:
Lori--
I did read what happened. Just to let you know, I believe that the majority of people who have read your blog believe that you are just writing your opinoins. I always feel that you give very fair opinoins and for me being here in the state, I like to see your point of view because I imagine it would be similar to my own. For instance the blog on time...my husband and his time issues drive me bananas. So I understand your point of view on this and how difficult it must be.
Anyway, i guess you cant make everyone happy,but that is why it is called an OPINOIN. Just so everyone knows.
Have a good weekend! C'est la vie!
Lori,
I read the postings on that blog and posted my opinion.
I have told you before, for the radicals that don't know how to differentiate an opinion from a person, too bad, they shouldn't be in a blog to begin with...you wrote nothing wrong, I actually reinforced your point of view with my opinion I think...maybe I will become the target now ;)
Remember, if someone have a problem with something you wrote, that is there problem, not yours...
What makes these blogs worth reading is the honesty of the opinions posted here...one cannot worry and start policing themselves on what to write and what to avoid writting based on a fear of being bashed personally.
Ray
oops! their, not there...
Thanks. I glad that I can produce something that is worth reading and helpful to you. My goal with this has always been for that and to have an account of my experiences to look back on.
Hey Lori, I get a lot of those kinds of comments on my blog (actually not as much in more recent days, now that I think of it). I think it's ridiculous for people to try and tell someone that their OPINION is wrong. It can't be wrong, it's an opinion. And I stated as much in response to the commenter on the other blog. :)
Haters to the left!
Well I think it's pretty sad that the girl who commented about you is of Asian descent and can't understand why that is offensive. The Spanish basketball team pulled something similar during or before the Beijing Olympics.
There is definitely a lack of cultural sensitivity in these parts, as we've discussed. Then again, I'm not sure if the U.S. is any better a lot of the time. Take a look at this:
http://www.racialicious.com/2008/10/15/asian-hair-for-halloween/
Kyle - Definitely agree. I've noticed some of the stuff you and emily get on your blogs and it's just crazy.
kumichan - Oh man, that link is ridiculous. Do people seriously use ethnic/racial groups as what they want to be for Halloween? That blog is interesting by the way. Thanks for sharing.
Haha, I don't even think I've gotten really bad comments! I think a lot of times people react from the gut - they feel like you're dissing their country/culture, and they get defensive. They also almost always use some version of the argument "well in the US there is x problem which is really bad." I know. I wasn't talking about the US. Your point is irrelevant.
Here in Chile people do the same motion to indicate Asian people. In this case I chalk it up to very little diversity. For example, all Asians are Chinese and all Middle Easterners are Turks because there aren't yet enough people saying "no, I'm actually Korean" for it to have sunk in. So I understand a lack of sensitivity, but that doesn't mean that to ME, coming from MY background, it is ok. And expressing that doesn't mean that you're an idiot who doesn't understand Brazil, it just means you have a different take on things! I do agree there are people, some of them bloggers, out there who clearly make no effort to understand and appreciate their new culture, but if someone actually took the time to get to know you by reading what you've written they would realize that you're not one of those people.
emily - Thanks.
"I wasn't talking about the US. Your point is irrelevant."
I know what you mean. I have that same feeling! Tons of stuff can be identified in the US as well as 20 other countries, but that isn't topic of the discussion.
Also, when I read the comments acusing any ex-pat of not being open to cultures it drives me nuts. I've seen it on yours, mine and others. The act of being open to moving to a new country period contradicts that acusation.
aces - This whole post came about due to unnecessary personal attacks. I'm all for healthy arguments and stimulating conversation, but please don't use my blog for personal attacks. Use someone elses blog or email the person. I welcome the opinion of all my readers and the enviroment of my blog will be one where everyone feels welcome to comment.
Aces,
I did not accuse Brazilians of anything. I have a high regard for Brazil and Brazilians in general. Stop taking it so personally. Cultural insensitivity is everywhere, including in my own country, as I pointed out in my comment. I just find it difficult to believe that people can't see harm in that kind of behavior in Brazil and beyond. I am equally as critical of similar behavior in my own countries.
I realize it's accepted in your culture but who's anyone to say that their culture is right or better? I am sure as hell not saying that but I do have a right to my own opinion.
It's funny how ppl. like you take it so personally when someone says something even remotely critical of your culture. And heck, I didn't even say it about your culture but just that girl as an individual! It's not a personal attack against you Aces. If you are okay with it, fine, but I have an opinion. I see no irony in it at all, actually.
Geez, I feel like I am on a teen chat site or something with all this bickering. Lori, sorry that your blog comments area is hosting this nonsense.
Lori, I'm sorry, I just realized you responded right about when I wrote my response. I just wanted to apologize for even responding to the little attack. You are right... these personal attacks have no place on your blog. It is your virtual space and we must respect your rules! So sorry. Let's all be grown-ups now :)
kumichan - No reason to apologize. You have every right to respond to an attack and defend your point.
Kumichan, you are entitled to your own opinion, of thinking its sad that brazilians dont see that as offensive. And I am entitled to my opinion of thinking its sad that americans think thats sad.
Just that. When you say you are entitled to your own opinion, you are saying you dont like when brazilian criticize your opinion. Very well. But arent you criticizing their opinion when you say "its SAD they think that way"?
Both parties are entitled to their own opinions. When you say brazilians opinions on the matter are "sad", you are doing the exact same thing you dont like related to your opinion.
Im having problems in my browser trying to delete the comments. Lori, can you please delete my comments here, if possible? I will keep the discussion about the subject on Gringa´s page.
Post a Comment