Friday, October 3, 2008

Picture Post: Burning Fields in Brazil


Today's post could also be called:

Reasons My Husband's Drive to Work Makes Me Nervous
or
Why I Don't Like Visiting My Husband's Office

These are photos of burning sugarcane fields which is part of the growing, harvesting, renewing process of the crop.

My husband's employer is located out in nowhere-land and he must drive along these roads, which cut right through the sugarcane fields, to get to work each day. This time of year the burning is awful. We even get ash in the air in Maringá.

Everything really is that close. He took these pictures while driving to work this week.

11 comments:

Mamacita Chilena said...

What a commute! It looks like a scene out of a horror movie!

Sara said...

This is why I will not drive in South America. The roads bite back.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Kyle - It is definitely bad. The fact that you can drive right through it is scary to me.

Sara - Hi! Thanks for your comment. I don't drive here either. Funny, they definitely bite back. :)

Bruna @ [Run, Forrest! Eat.] said...

Unfortunately, we still need that... but, don't worry, all the burning is scheduled to be over (by federal laws) in 2030 all over Brazil, 2014 in SP (because in Brazil, states have no power to make their own laws... they follow federal ones, and they can make it harder on us, but never softer).
Anyways, I feel bad for your husband. It must be horrible having to drive in a place like that.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Hi bru- Thanks for your comment and the information. I really don't know a lot about the process and that is really interesting about the changing laws. Thanks!

Ray Adkins said...

Lori,

They should have sent you guys to California for driving thru fire practicing...
If I saw the photos without explanation I would think you were driving in California during their frequent wild fires...
Come on girls!
The roads in South America are not so bad!
All you need is some practice in Miami or Manhattan for a little while and you would be all set to go!




Ray

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Yeah it is probably similar. The road to my husbands office is really bad. I can't say it is the worst I've been on, we've driven through the mountains in Jamaica and they are worse. However, I am definitely glad that I don't have to make that drive everyday. There is no way I could do it.

Ray Adkins said...

Lori,

On a completely different note, I was laughing out loud in Portugal when EVERYONE was asking me for change, even at the frigging "toll both" on the highway...
That is were Brazil got this habit, it has to be, it is the only other place on earth EVERYBODY was asking me for change...


Ray

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Too funny, ray! That must be where the tradition came from. :) Hope you had a nice trip!

Ray Adkins said...

Lori,

My trip to Spain and Portugal was fascinating, I decided to drive from Madrid to Lisbon, it was a great idea, I drove a hybrid diesel BMW, rented at the Madrid Airport from Avis, it was awesome...
I absolutely loved both countries and already started to plan a 2 week vacation to visit Spain and Portugal.


Ray

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Spain has never really been high on my travel list, but I keep coming across people who absolutely love it there. I should probably reconsider. It keeps getting more interesting to me. Glad you had a great time! That drive sounds like a lot of fun!