Thursday, October 2, 2008

Kilos

I have decided that I have a love – hate relationship with weight measurement in kilos.

When kilos are not my friend:

Using kilos in the gym sucks for ones self esteem. The weight I used to be able to lift has been cut in half from a visual stand point. Yes, this is all in my head. However, when I look at the weight plates or see my dumbbells I can’t help but feel a sense of disappointment from the small numbers that stare back at me.

Not to mention, it takes me a lot longer to work up to the next plate considering what was once a 1 lb increase is now a 2.2 lb increase. Most of the plates increase by 5s, similar to what machines are like in the States, however that 5 increase is actually 11 lbs now, not 5 lbs.

When kilos are my friend:

There is one little thing that I do love about the kilo measurement. I have to admit it is quite a pleasant experience to step on a scale and see my weight now days.

My friend told me a funny story the other day about her new WiFit. The language options are Spanish or English. She was prepared to use the English option until she saw that she had to put her weight in pounds!

I could see how it would be a bit of a traumatic experience if you were in the opposite situation of spending your life in kilos and then converting to pounds. That would definitely take some getting used to.

8 comments:

Emily said...

When kilos aren't so much fun: when you're prego and told you should gain no more than 1-2 per month through the 2nd and 3rd trimesters of pregnancy.

Granted, that is 2.2 - 4.4 pounds . . . but 1-2 sounds so small! If makes me second guess that scoop of ice cream! hehehe ;)

Emily said...

Ok, now this is another Emily...try not to get confused :)

I feel the same way about working up in the gym! I don't really understand how I'm supposed to be able to move up 11 pounds...do I wait until my current weights are ridiculously easy? Do I move up when I normally would and then just have to struggle for a while and probably do fewer reps with the new weight at first? It's all too complicated. It also drives me crazy to have km on treadmills because I have to push the "speed up" button 823482345 times for it to actually go noticeably faster since it only goes up in .1km/hr increments.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

emily (brazil) - I wouldn't like that either. When it comes to weight taking things x 2 is a bit scary. Ha, ha!

emily (chile) - Ha, ha! The little pictures do help. :) I totally forgot about the treadmills. I feel the same way. You can get a finger cramp from keeping it on the button so long. I have the same problem with the weight increase. I never quite know when to go up to the next level. It definitely makes working out an even more complex issue.

Rogério Penna said...

sincerely, academies could very well have smaller weight increases. After all, you have decimal kilos (grams).


as for the treadmills which goes up in km/h, I guess they should just make them go up in meters/second.

Mamacita Chilena said...

I love my weight in kilos...haven't seen that double digit number since sixth grade!

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

aces, I would definitely welcome smaller increases.

Kyle, yes that number is so nice to see. I hate admit how much like it. :)

Ju Lima said...

But that doesn't mean I´m happy with my weight in kilos either!!!! :) Ok. I'm going to the gym today!

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Ha, ha! Have to say I feel the same way. Have you tried body balance yet? :)