
I finally had the opportunity to try açaí in a
tigela (bowl) at
Açaizeiro last night. Amazing! Although, I need to start reading the menu more closely. I had no idea guarana syrup was mixed in. I was wired last night!
Since it had to do with health for me, I posted about it over at my
food blog. You can take a look
there if you are interested.
14 comments:
Ive never had Acai before, but apparently it's all the rage here in the states now! My friend here who is from Santa Catarina, wants to know if you will be going to October Fest in Blumenau?
No, we won't make it to Oktoberfest, but we are headed back to Floripa in April and plan to go to Blumenau on our drive back. I'm looking forward to it. I've heard that it is a cool place.
Lori,
Blumenau is really German and that whole area too, there is a little town just outside of Blumenau called "Pomerode", the Brazilians there speak German as a first language, they speak Portuguese with a German accent, the kids take Portuguese and German in the Schools and not Portuguese and English like in the rest of Brazil.
There is also "Brusque", another very German town in the area, it is a unique part of Brazil worth visiting.
Ray
Lori,
On another note, I just saw some disturbing food news, it reminded me of your "Mock Foods" post, Hershey has just started replacing "expensive" cocoa butter for cheaper vegetable oil in some of their chocolates, and by law they were forced to change some of their candy's names to "chocolatey" instead of "chocolate".
So, when you get back home remember to read the labels of Hershey chocolates before you eat them.
Most other chocolate makers raised their prices during this "high oil" high costs days and Hershey decided to maintain their prices and replace some ingredients with cheaper ones.
Ray
Thanks so much for the tips for other cities. I've heard a lot the area and the prominence of other languages. I'm so interested to see it.
How iteresting about the chocolate. Thanks for letting me know. It might make a good post for my food blog. I'll have to check out the labels in Dec.
I love açaí. Part of the reason why maybe it is getting big in the US is because it has very few carbs. My favorite kind is with guaraná and strawberries, although the traditional kind with banana slices and granola is yummy too.
I'm glad I found it here. Sometimes I feel like I am really missing out on some great fruits from the north. Luckily some restaurants like this place are using them and they seem to be popping up all over.
Lori,
I don't know if you understand German but if you do here is an interesting fact I just remembered about Pomerode, Brusque and Blumenau, they speak a German dialect that is no longer spoken in Germany, it was spoken in Germany in the 1800's, but apparently the German language evolved in Germany and it was somewhat frozen in time in this small towns in Santa Catarina because of their isolation from other German speaking communities....
The problem with Açaí is that its VERY caloric.
As for german speaking brazilians, the dialect is called Hunsruckish. Its was influenced by other german dialects like Pomeronian and Plautdietsch, as well as by Talian (itself a Venetian dialect) in the german areas that border italian areas in Rio Grande do Sul state.
Rio Grande do Sul also has plenty of german speakers (Gisele Bündchen is gaúcha), and in cities like Nova Petrópolis and many others, you can engage in german speaking with mostly everyone... including in the City Hall.
Fact is that german language lost strenght in Brazil during 2nd World War, since Brazil was in the Allies side (sent 25 thousand troops to fight in Italy) and german languagewas forbidden in Brazil.
(quite remarkably, germans, italians and japanese were the largest immigrant groups in Brazil at the time)
I live in a city called Novo HAMBURGO. In my school, we had english AND german as mandatory disciplines from 6th to 8th grade. From 9th to 11th grade, you could choose either one as mandatory and as optional, you could have the other.
Thanks for the info. Interesting stuff about the German.
Ohhhhhh my gosh. I looooooove açaí!!! I think the thing I miss most about Brazil is açaí. I ate it at least once a day when I as there!!! My capoeira friends and I often went out for açaí after training. It gave me so much energy.
And a company called Sambazon sells it in the states. Not as good as the real deal but you I started buying it once I found it at the local food co-op.
The açaí in Salvador wasn't as thick and purple as the one in Rio. Don't know why that is.
Great to know I can possibly get it in the US. I'd love for my family to try it. I think it is so cool that you were involved with capoeira. I find it amazing!
Hey Lori, in the US you can get açai (powder/dried) on line
www.acairoots.com
I tried a couple of times, and it is as good as the ones you find here in Brazil (frozen).
Hi hermes - Thanks so much for the tip. I will check it out.
Post a Comment