Friday, October 10, 2008

Tah-dah!!!!!


Look what I got this morning!

Can I just take this moment to say how proud I am to be living in Maringá when the first somewhat socially acceptable to-go cup arrived.

I had to laugh when they handed me the order. We were at a party last Saturday and one of the girls was going on about how muito grande the new coffees were. They are just barely the size of a tall at most cafes in the States. We tried to explain the venti to them, but I'm not sure they grasped the concept of a 20 oz coffee.

Ah, the freedom! I can literally walk anywhere fully caffeinated.

6 comments:

corinne said...

I actually brought a travel mug back from Target several years ago to have to-go coffee. I drink it while I lecture my 7:30am Friday class. I also get Brazilians asking where I got it (and a few that think a have something stronger in there besides coffee - maybe a commenton my lecturers? Not sure).

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Ha, ha! Funny.

I bought one from Starbucks on my first trip back to the States. I just needed something for when we head out on a long drive in the mornings and I also took it to Portuguese class with me. It is just one of those habits I enjoy and don't want to break. :)

Ray Adkins said...

Lori,

I am impressed this "to go" habit is actually picking up in Brazil, I noticed several places had the to go option in my last trip to Sao Paulo.
I ready recently on a web site that Brazilians are very peculiar about drinking or eating in public, they meant on the streets or anywhere outside a restaurant or cafe...
Maybe they will change...at least folks in big cities will probably change faster and start adopting the "to go" life style.


Ray

Poofbegone said...

You should see the tiny "short" size at Starbucks in Japan! It is like a baby size cup.

I miss giant, super-sized American foods and drinks. I know it's greedy but it makes me feel like I am getting my money's worth.

Rogério Penna said...

yup, its hard for brazilian to grasp the concept of a 20oz cup of coffee... or a 20oz cup of anything for that matter.

its easier for us if we talk in liters or mililiters ;)

:)

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

ray - I definitely break the rule on that one. I like to take my stuff and go even if it is walking. :)

kumichan83 - I'm not sure if the short size will ever catch on in the US. I know you can get it, but it is never on the menu. I do miss some of the sizes from the US too, especially when it comes to coffee!

aces - I'm working on the lbs to kilos, not quite sure I'll ever get to liters for liquid. too many years of nutrition classes focused on 8 - 8oz cups of fluid a day. :) I always think in ounces.