Today is the first day of my favorite month of the year. Of course, looking out my window there are no signs of any changing leaves or blustery autumn winds, but there are some really pretty blooming purple trees speckled throughout the city. I also have to say that I love the palm trees here.
I’ve got pumpkins too. They may not be fit for carving, but they are fit for baking. I also have apples. I can’t go pick them myself, but there is a decent selection at the supermarket.
We’ve also been experiencing some cooler weather here which is certainly welcomed by me. It doesn’t seem to be quite as hot as it was this time last year.
While my mind is thinking fall thoughts of home I’m also noticing the changes in the air around here. As the sunny days are increasing you can really tell that there is an anticipation of summer right around the corner.
I often forget that while students at home are just gearing up for a new year the students here can already see the end in sight. They are definitely looking forward to summer.
There are a few things coming up here in the next couple weeks that are worth noting. Hopefully they will lead to some worthy posts.
First, the World Food feira (loosely translated) should start this weekend. They are already setting up for it in the center of town. German food, homemade pastel and coconut candies. I am looking forward to going a second time and taking more advantage of it. Also, I’ve gotten a lot less shy about taking pictures of everything so this year I should have plenty to report about.
This just in! Starting today the golden arches are going to start serving breakfast! I’m not excited about the food, just to see how the city reacts to it. I wonder if there will be a drive-thru line in the morning like there is at night.
Looking at the menu there are only about two foods that are the same as the US - the McGriddle and the McMuffin sandwiches. Other than that they have pão de queijo, two pieces of bread with butter that have been flattened in a panini press and a croissant.
I’m not sure why in the world someone would want something like the last three at a McDonald’s when they can get an awesome and fresh variety at one of the many bakeries around here. If I wanted a pão de queijo, that wouldn’t be my first choice of dining locations.
There are two things I am interested in though. Will they have to-go coffee??!!! And how in the world will they pronounce “McGriddle” and “McMuffin” in Portuguese?!
To top things off I am celebrating my last few days in my 20s. I’m trying not to be depressed about it. Any suggestions for what I should do over the next couple weeks?
Wednesday, October 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
McMuffin - Mickey Moofim; McGriddle - Mickey Gridley??
I have such a hard time ordering in US-style restaurants because I can´t get myself to pronounce English words in Portuguese. I used to feel so stupid at academic conferences when people would talk and reference all these sociologists that I had NEVER heard of - I kept thinking, "am I really that poorly read?", then I realized it was the pronunciation!! Coleman was Colleymun, etc. (escept for Weber - he is ALWAYS Veber - go figure!!).
Don´t mourn you 20´s, the 30´s are really SO much better. I am so much more sure and smart now than in my 20´s. If I had to send off my 20´s again, I would go clubbing with some girlfriends until closing, then order chinese take-out at 2 in the morning and keep the party going until dawn!!
oh, before I forget, check out Dorie Greenspan´s blog (doriegreenspan.com) for a neat stuffed pumpkin recipe that I think can be adapted well for Brazilian pumpkins
That recipe looks amazing. Thanks so much for telling me about it. You are right it would definitely work for around here with all the great pumpkins.
Your pronunciation stories crack me up. We always see English words, but then have to remember that it probably doesn't sound anything like what we are expecting.
I tend to be overly dramatic about birthdays. :) I'm excited for my 30s, I just don't want to grow up! Ha, ha! Your idea sounds like a fun one!
Hi Lori, October is my favorite monthtoo... most because of the fall (in Massachusetts), I loved the color of the leaves, the wind, the weather getting cooler... Oh how I miss that. Here in Arizona is hard to tell.. it's still very hot during the day, but better in the evenings.
I am going to be 26 next month and I am already worried about getting to my 30's, can you believe that?
I remember when I was 18 and I wanted to be 21 soon, well, time passed by so fast that it feels like I "skiped" some years...
But you know what? I am a much better person now, much happier than when I was 21.
I think the age that counts is the one you "feel" not the one in your birth certificate.
elaine - I should probably be more specific about my fall definition. Ha, ha! I know there are lots of places in the US that don't experience anything like what I'm used to. It is all about leaves, pumpkins, apples and cooler weather for me. :)
I felt that way at 26 too. I try to embrace it but I would be lying if I said it didn't bother me just a little :)
Oh, how I love October! I adore it when the weather is like this...warm in the afternoon, but cooler in the mornings and evening. No big jackets needed; just long sleeves. It's awesome! :)
http://zandria.us
zandria - oh I miss that weather so much! Fortunately we have some random days here where it mimics that pattern. I was able to go to the DC area a few years ago in late Oct and it was beautiful.
Post a Comment