Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Pretty Much My Favorite Animal

I’d like to introduce you to Harold. (Yes, this is what I have named him.) Harold lives at Parque Barigüi in Curitiba. Not only does the fact that Harold is a capybara make him super-cool, but apparently he owns his own peninsula at the park.

Each time we have gone to the park we see Harold sitting by himself in one specific area. He lies there, striking an interesting pose every now and then, glancing at the people who walk up to him to take pictures.


You see, on the other side of the park, the scene is more like this.





We have only been a few times, but this is always how it is – Harold on one side and everyone else on the other. So I’m trying to figure out what the deal is with Harold. Maybe if you know anything about capybaras you can help me.

Is he just too cool for everyone else? (Perhaps a local celebrity?) Is he a complete dork and no one else likes him? Is he mean and they voted him off the island?

Everything I have read about capybaras says that they spend their time in packs or herds usually lead by a dominant male and often a subordinate male. Maybe it is just the fact that the entire lake is their stomping ground and there is nothing strange about him being there alone. It just seems odd when you see all the other ones hanging out together during the day.

Well, anyway, enjoy the pictures of Harold. He is quite a character.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never seen anything like Harold before! I didn't even know Harold's kind existed! I am now going to wikipedia him!

He is kinda cute too :)

Fernanda said...

Harold sure is unique. I'm from Campo Grande, MS. I used to see "capivaras" everyday when I had classes at UFMS (Federal University) and they were always together in groups. Maybe you're right, he is too cool or too snob hehehehe! Loved the pics!

ko said...

that is the cutest animal!!! My hubby works in Brazil....do you like living there?????????? We always think about living there!!!!
KYley

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

stephanie - I didn't know either until we moved down here. Aren't they the coolest?! Super-cute in my book and according to everything I've read they are really docile too. Search on YouTube and you'll see people petting them. I'm not quite that brave.

fernanda - I never get tired of seeing them. They are so unique compared to animals common where i am from. I really want to like him so I hope he's not a snob! Ha, ha! :)

Hi ko! Thanks for your comment. Living abroad is a really exciting experience. Lots of ups and downs and you learn a lot about yourself. I wouldn't trade it. Brazil is an interesting place to live, lots to explore. I will say that often I wish I was closer to the coast so we could head there on the weekends more often. Our smaller town is beautiful, but there isn't a whole lot to do.