Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Need a Hug?


While walking through Parque Barigüi during our last trip to Curitiba this group of teenagers caught our attention. Well, they really caught everyone’s attention.

They were wearing an oversized shirt that said, “Jesus wants to give you a hug.” Then they would run up to unsuspecting people and fold them into a huge group hug.

Talk about busting a personal space bubble!

I think you know my love of my bubble, but I thought this – both the message and the hug – were great! What a fun idea! Every person they hugged couldn't keep from smiling.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehe! This is cute!!

Ray Adkins said...

Lori,

Jesus, Mary and Joseph!!!!!
That would really freak people out in Boston, Hartford or Providence, not to mention they would be simply punched in the face in New York or Philly!
Just curious, Is Parana more "Bible Belt" or more "progressive"?
Curitiba always stroke me as a very cosmopolitan city!



Ray

Ray Adkins said...

Lori,

I could't picture this happening in Sao Paulo, they are very peculiar about their "personal space", as much as we are, but I could see this happening in Rio or Salvador for example.
On another note, the link below is very interesting, very good news about Brazil's economic progress.


Ray




http://money.cnn.com/2008/01/16/news/international/brazil_soy.fortune/index.htm

Ray Adkins said...

http://money.cnn.com/2008/01/16/news/international/brazil_soy.fortune/index.htm

Ray Adkins said...

Sorry, for some reason, I can't paste the whole URL

http://money.cnn.com/2008/01/16/news/international/
brazil_soy.fortune/index.htm

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Probably wouldn't go over too well in larger US cities, but I could see it happening in central KY. I don't think I really know enough about Parana vs the rest of the country to make a comparison.

Personally, I was glad to see a group of teens out sharing what they believed in, in a peaceful way. Well, I guess not peaceful if someone wanted to punch them, but you know what I mean. Ha, ha!

Thanks for the article link. Very interesting. I was really surprised at the amount of soy products in Maringa. I had no idea. The juices, milk, oil and even the beans are everywhere. I was really surprised to see the comment in the article that people in Brazil don't eat it. It is everywhere around here from tofu on. Uh-oh, did they generalize there? Ha, ha!

Ray Adkins said...

Lori,

The most impressive for me was to read that the new Ford Mustang is the first car to replace the seats made with "petrol" based resin to "soy" based resin instead...who knew, the new Ford Mustang has seats made with Brazilian soy byproduct...
Also the amount of American farmers moving into the Brazilian midwest...