Where I lived in the US you could not go into any post office in town and not have to stand in a line. At lunch time or on a Saturday you could just forget it unless, of course, you had a spare hour or so to waste.
When I was in Dun Laoghaire, Ireland this summer people were lined up outside on a weekday morning before the place even opened. It was about the same in the other post offices I visited around Europe on that trip.
Maringa is no exception. There is always a crowd and here you don’t stand in line. You get a number and there is a waiting area to sit down as if you are waiting to go see the doctor.
The first few times I went to the post office here I was able to play the gringa/internacional card. There is a person at the entrance whom you go to and get your number. When I would tell him/her that I had international mail they often sent me to the short line. I have no idea what this short line is specifically for and given my past experiences I would suspect that there is no rhyme or reason to the process.
Personally, I really don’t care what it is for I am just happy when I get directed to it because it means my post office stop will be 10 minutes instead of an hour.
Unfortunately, the past two times I stopped by to mail letters the assistant handed me a number instead of sending me to the short line. Boo! My luck had run out. I had to wait with everyone else.
I’m not saying I shouldn’t have to wait or that I think I am more special than anyone else, but after you get used to the quick treatment it is pretty disheartening to watch the number slowly be called. In addition to watching some lines get held up by people having problems. Somebody always has to have a problem with a minor detail.
Well, I came back from the gym and decided to swing in the post office on Friday. Now, I knew it was going to be madness, Friday afternoons always are there. However, I was nearby and wanted to try my luck.
I walked in to a room full of occupied chairs. People had boxes stacked on their laps and mailers piled next to them. I almost turned around and walked out, but thought I could at least tell the guy I had international mail.
As he turned and pointed me to the short line I almost cheered out loud! I could have given him a hug and kiss, which now that I think about it probably wouldn’t have been odd around here at all. So I proudly marched over to the short line and the people in front of me finished in a matter of seconds.
To top it off I got these…

I know. You were expecting something much more exciting. But I assure you, self-adhesive stamps are worth getting excited about. I had no idea how much I appreciated them in the US until I got here and realized I had to lick or wet all my postage. Hooray, for sticker stamps!
I’m still trying to figure out the criteria for the short line considering it is not consistent each time I go. However, I’ll take it when I can get it, especially on a Friday. A good day indeed!


3 comments:
Lori,
If I remember correctly, they would point us to the small line if you had up to two or three letters.
If you had more, boxes, a pile or they new you were from a company, like the "office boys", they would send you to the line that handled commercial postage and people with lot's of postage.
Perhaps when you have international mail, you just have one thing, either a box or a package and the times you were turned into with the crowd you had more stuff.
Keep in mind that in Brazilian post offices, people can pay their utility bills, that is probably why you see so many people there, maybe the folks who are going to pay the eletric, water, telephone and mail letters and buy stamps are sent to the long line and folks who only have a box or an international package gets sent into the quick lane, for folks who are not going to hold the line.
I hope the tip helps you understand what their system is...
Ray
Ray - Thanks so much for trying to help me figure it out. I think the mystery still remains. Each time I go I have the same thing - 3 to 4 letters/cards.
I didn't realize that about paying bills there. I've always seen people paying at the lottery places which is where we pay ours. Perhaps that is what the hold up is at some of the windows at the post office.
I don't know for post offices (I don't go there for years), but this short lines are usually for the folks older than 60 or 65 years, pregnant women, mothers with small kids and the handicapped.
You have a good blog, and it seems that you are starting to understand things more around here, but don't forget: In Brasil, people ask for information on about everything, to anyone. You can ask in the next PO stop, and when they realize you are a foreigner, they will be even more helpful. Bye!
Post a Comment