My adventures in Europe (Ireland right now) started yesterday. You know those times when you just feel happy? You don’t have to put forth any effort, the feeling just overwhelms you.
These are the times to cherish in life. I felt it this summer during my visit home to the States and I am definitely feeling it now.
I feel unbelievably normal. Normal is a very personal, relative term. I feel normal with a splash of excitement mixed in. I enjoy my experiences in Brazil, but I don’t fit in by a long shot. From blond hair, to un-manicured nails, to my more sporty/Gap inspired attire.
While I’m sure my (US)American-ness stands out to the people here, personally I feel like I fit in. This is a great feeling.
It started in the airport. I stood there people watching for a while and in a completely packed airport I think I saw three people with high heels on. In Brazil, you can reverse this ratio.
The people looked…well…they looked like me. I used to thrive on uniqueness, on being different, but after a year standing out in Brazil, I love being in a place where I blend with the crowd.
After sleeping a whopping 12 hours, the first thing I did this morning was go get this. (I had my first pint of Guinness last night.)
Over the next couple weeks I’ll have the opportunity to experience a lot. My experiences in Brazil will definitely be on my mind. I’m going to have the opportunity to give a US vs. Brazil vs. Europe perspective on things and I can’t wait.
It will be more of a Blondie in Brazil Visits Europe blog for a while.
How do I know Brazil won’t be far from my mind?
Well, one of the first languages I heard here was Portuguese – no kidding! And we just happen to be here during the Festival of World Cultures. I’ve seen the schedule and Brazil is definitely represented.
Okay, so I’m in one of the most beautiful countries in the world and all I’ve given you is a picture of a coffee. How about this one?
Just kidding. Here are some more. I have been to Dublin before so I won’t be going to a lot of the major tourist spots this time. I’m hoping to spend more time exploring the eastern coast which is sure to mean some awesome pictures.


7 comments:
What fun! I can't wait to hear all about your Europe travels!
Wow, can't wait to see pictures of everything you do while you're there!
If you stumble across any amazingly priced b&b's or cool hostels or little nooks and crannies not mentioned in the guidebooks, feel free to write down names and locations and send them my way for use when we are on our trip :)
How fun! So, is this just a vacation? Are you going back to Brazil?
I couldn't help but laugh about your comments... not fitting in the brazilian culture. Well, let me tell you something. Last year, when I went to Brazil I felt just like you. All my friends would go to the mall like .. they were going to a party. I am brazilian and I do have my own different style.... I just had forgotten how "perua" my friends were! Do you know the term perua?
Well, hope you have fun. Can't wait to see pictures!
You know Lori, even though I am from Brazil I was never like the girls down there, I mean, I was never dressing up. I would to a special occasion, but not all the time. It's kind of crazy huh?
I like to dress comfortable most of the time.
Wow, Ireland! I had never been to Europe before, but it's my dream to visit every single country there one day. Bryan loves Europe, he's been there a few times, seen a lot of countries, he wants to live there one day.
I have a friend that went to Ireland with he host family when she was an au pair, and she loved it.
I hope you enjoy your trip, and when you have some extra time don't forget about us here.
:)
Thanks for all the good wishes! I'll be in Ireland for a while and then on to Prague, Vienna and Budapest. Yes, it is just a trip. We'll be coming back to Brazil.
My husband is on business part of the time then we will vacation together. With writing I can work from anywhere so I am taking advantage.
Kyle - I'm not familiar with hostels, but for our trip together we are going to be staying mostly at the Ibis. This is always a great option. They are inexpensive and clean. They aren't as cheap as hostels, but we like having our own room and bathroom.
Vivi and Elaine - I know it really isn't fair to classify everyone into the dressing up category. I'm just speaking the majority here.
In the US there are plenty of women who dress up like that, yet there are plenty of more casual women too. I've met several more casual women in Brazil and maybe that is why we get along so well. Ha, ha!
Your experiences are interesting with the fact that you noticed it too when returning. You'll have to enlighten me on perua. I've never heard that term before. :)
Lori,
I just spent 10 days working in Sao Paulo and the to go cups were everywhere, maybe the new trend will reach Maringa soon!
Enjoy Europe and don't forget to get some fresh "paprika" in Budapest, they are the best...
Ray
Ha, ha! My husband says he actually wants to open our own coffee shop so we can introduce the idea. :) I definitely have paprika on my list!
Post a Comment