Well, actually I really don’t think it is cool to them.
My husband made the comment that we would never see this in Brazil. Definitely not! Not in 50 degree weather, that is when the coats and boots come out!
It just got me thinking again about how different the perceptions of weather are for different cultures.
I would describe the weather here as being October-like relative to the US mid-west. Cool, breezy, rainy, but some warm sun mixed in. I’m sure I don’t have to tell you that I love it!
However, I wasn’t loving it much when I headed out to walk on the pier about 6:00pm and got caught in the cold rain. As I was getting drenched and heading back towards the hotel, people where actually headed out for a walk on the pier.
What?! I think this actually surprised me more than coats in Brazil.
People were geared up with their rain jackets, some with umbrellas and a to-go coffee/tea in hand. It was just like ice cold rain was not pelting their faces.
I guess you get used to the normal, wherever that may be for you.
I was also pretty surprised to see people swimming, yes, swimming in the ocean earlier this week. Yes, the sun came out, but the high has been 65. That ocean water had to be cold! They were not in wetsuits either. We are talking tankinis.
I am not complaining. I am loving the weather. I could do without so much rain, but when I’ve got time to sit in a coffee shop it is no problem at all.
Sorry, all temps are in Fahrenheit. I might be able to grasp the kilo conversion, but Celsius I can’t conquer.
As promised, pictures of Howth.


6 comments:
The Celsius conversion isn’t so bad when you simplify it.
The actual equation is something like:
F = (9/5)C + 32
So 70F = 21 C if you use the official equation, but that’s crazy enough not to remember.
I prefer the simplified equation
F=2C + 30
F= Double whatever the celcius temp is and add (roughly) 30
So the opposite is:
C = Subtract 30 from the F temp and divide by two.
If I end up forgetting the equation, I remember that 70F should be roughly 20C and go from there. The simplified conversion isn't exact, but it’s close enough for the 0-99F temp scale.
The posts are great! Keep up the good work.
Thanks! The F=2C+30 is much easier. I'm always thrown off with the fracation.
Blondie, did you ever noticed this "different perception of weather by different cultures" inside US itself... like... people from Florida, Georgia or SoCal compared to dunno... people from Boston, Iowa, etc?
A little, but not as drastically as Brazil. My family from Florida were never decked out in heavy coats and boots when they would come home to 50 degree weather at Thanksgiving.
Actually, it was just the opposite.
I love that song, I also heard it from the McDonald's commercial here in the US. I had seen it on You Tube but thought it was only showing in Brazil... then one day I was on the computer and the TV was on when I heard the song playing on the TV... I look at it and it is the same comercial I saw on You Tube. I was so happy.
Talking about weather... I wish I lived there. I love the cold weather.
My friend that had been to Ireland with her host family (I think I mentioned her before), she went swimming with the kids in Ireland, and they all had to wear those suits to protect from the cold water, and she said she could still feel it freezing. I hate the cold but I can't stand cold water!!!!
I'm definitely a cooler weather person too. My perfect time of year is the fall in the midwest US. That is a lot of what it has been like here in Ireland.
Post a Comment