I can definitely be included in this group. I love peanut butter!
Fortunately, I haven’t had to do without what I consider a food group in and of itself. I’ve brought some back with me each time I've returned to Brazil and visitors have helped us out as well. We ration, but still get enough to satisfy our cravings.
I got used to the Smuckers Natural PB back home. I liked the fact that it was just peanuts and salt, not added sugar. However, the glass jar isn’t so travel friendly so I’ll take whatever kind I can get now.
It seems even people from here who lived in the US a bit fell in love with peanut butter. I just can’t quite figure out why it isn’t produced or as popular here as in the US.
Peanuts are everywhere here including in sweets. And we know from my previous posts that Brazilian’s love their sweets.
There is a brand that is sold in really small jars. We have been warned not to try it. My husband’s coworkers who have lived in the States say it is no good.
Well, just lookie what I found in a supermarket in Curitiba last week.
Well, at least I know where to go in case of an emergency.


13 comments:
Lori,
That is REALLY a good price. Most of the jars of PB I have seen are in the R$25 range. I make my own peanut butter, which since you like the natural stuff, might curb the cravings - just blend unsalted roasted peanuts with a little canola oil in a food processor or blender. Doesn´t get as smooth as the industrial stuff, but still mighty tasty in a PB&J (especially with guava jam). Of course, need the real stuff for baking, no getting around that.
Hi Lori, I came to thank you for visiting my blog. I took a couple minutes to go over a couple of posts and I have to tell you: I absolutely love your blog already!
I love to read about people's expectations of other places, and their different experiences. And this is the other way around, I am a brazilian living in America, and you an American living in Brazil. To me, reading your blog(and Emily's too) is like seeing my own country with different eyes.
You know how to write in a captivating way. I will be putting a link to your blog on mine and I will keep coming back.
Good Luck there
:)
Lori,
I think you should at least try the Brazilian peanut butter brand, it isn't bad at all, we bought it while in Brazil and our kids loved it...
At least it is available in every grocery store and it isn't expensive...
Cheers
Ray
corinne - I was so surprised at the price too. Thanks for the tip! I've often thought I should try a homemade version, now I know how to do it.
elaine - Thanks. So glad you like the blog. I'm looking forward to reading more of yours because of that reason. Sharing my perceptions has really gotten me interested in what other's perceptions are of where I'm from.
ray - I might give it a try for something different. Thanks!
I love your reports on Curitiba.
Am hoping to be there sometimes in the next 6 to 8 months. Wonderful place to be.
Hi gabi,
So glad you like the pictures. It was a beautiful weekend there.
Don't hesitate to email me if you have anymore questions.
When I was in Brazil as a volunteer back in 2003, a fellow volunteer got sick and practically had a nervous breakdown. She was crying for peanut butter. The volunteer coordinator said others had peanut butter fed exed to them because they were so desperate. In Bahia, there was no peanut butter to be found! Here in Ecuador there is a lot. Personally, I am more of a fan of almond butter.
I like your blog and to see such a different part of Brazil. I spent most of my time in Salvador (and a little in Rio and Sao Paulo) and the pictures I am seeing of the south look like a different country altogether!
Hi kumichan83 -
Thanks for your comment! Wow, I don't think a lack of pb would bring me to tears, but I sure would miss it. We have been told many times by the people here that the north and south are like two completely different countries.
I always try to keep that in mind when I'm writing and generalize the culture. I know my experiences living in a smaller town and in the south can be much different then those living in bigger towns in the north. I guess that can be said for a lot of countries though.
after all, whats is the name of the brazilian peanut butter brand?
the only one I know is Amendocrem.
Is it the same one all across the country?
i think the lack of peanut butter in Brazil is comparable to the lack of Dulce de Leche (Doce de Leite) in the US.
both are made from simple recipes of readily available products in both countries...
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that is the brand we have here. I've only found it at one supermarket though.
Yes, I would say the comparison is similar. However, regardless of sugar, peanut butter is WAY healthier than doce de leite. :) Doce de leite wouldn't be one of those foods I would get into the habit of having everyday like PB. I will miss it some when we leave Brazil though. :)
are you sure peanut butter is way healthier?
peanut butter, as far as I know, is great to make you FAT.
well, as far as I knew, most nuts were like 150% fat or calories, whatever.
Oh, yes, I'm completely sure. Doce de Leite is sugar and milk, most of the time sweetened condensed milk. Very high in calorie and unhealthy fat. Not a whole lot of nutritional value, there might be some calcium in there somewhere.
Peanut butter is high in protein and heart healthy fat (the good kind). Nuts are also rich in Vitamin E with is an extremely valuable antioxidant that helps in disease prevention and aging. Their fat also helps with satiety.
Yes, the commercial brands have sugar in them and some a little trans fat, but this doesn't outweigh their nutritional benefit. You can also buy natural brands which are better for you.
Nuts and peanut butter are calorie dense, so you can't overdo on it. However, the protein and healthy fat make them very healthy foods.
Post a Comment