Friday, August 22, 2008

Lifesavers

When you are visiting a country which has the custom of driving on the opposite side of the road than you are used to, a simple sign like the one below can be a lifesaver.

Of course, learning to drive in this new way would be difficult, but it is also pretty darn confusing to get around on foot.

You can find signs like these all over Dublin City, but in the smaller towns they aren’t quite so prevalent.

I know I must look like a confused and lost soul when I walk up to an intersection that doesn’t provide any instruction. I look around in every direction. However, I’m not actually looking for anything other than where the traffic is. It is really hard to get used to the turns.

Ireland is one place where I pay close attention to the walk signs. I’ve ventured across the road to save time before but it almost always leads to a close call.

These signs are so great though. You just walk up and know to look left or right.

Well, yesterday I stayed around the hotel a lot because I had to get some work done. Yeah, I know. Sucks to be me.

Today I went to Bray. Another coastal town about a 20 minute Dart ride south from Dublin City. At first I wasn’t too impressed, but as the day wore on and people begin to fill up the little beachside town on a beautiful Friday I started liking it more and more.

The most interesting thing was the beach. So far the coastal towns I’ve seen have only rocks and concrete coastlines. People still swim and it is beautiful, but not a beachy atmosphere.

Bray had the first Irish beach I have seen. Barely any sand here, it was all rocks and pebbles, but waves gently crashed up on the shore.

I ventured onto a little of the cliff walk at Brays Head, but just didn’t have the energy to get lost like I did in Howth. The walk wasn’t quite as great either because the Dart line separated the path from the actual edge of the cliffs.

Here are some pictures. This weekend is the Festival of World Cultures so that is sure to be interesting.


No comments: