Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Some Notes and Pictures

I headed into Dublin today for a little exploring so what I have are some city pics. I had completely forgotten how crazy the Grafton Street area can be on a summer afternoon. There were people everywhere.


I noted a few things Brazil related today.

First of all, it might be in an awesome city, but I almost didn't leave the gym this morning.
Oh my, it is awesome. State-of-the-art Precor elliptical trainers with individual cardio theaters. The weight machines were the smoothest I have ever experienced.
Many people would say boo to working out during a vacation, but when the gym itself is such a beautiful site I just can't pass it up!

I was waiting for the Dart train when a women approached me and asked me in English if the train was headed the direction she wanted to go. I answered her and then strained to classify her language as she talked to her daughter. I couldn't quite identify it. Then I realized something.

Although they were speaking a different language her daughter was explaining some common rules about Portuguese to her.
Meu Deus! You have got to be kidding me.

She was explaining, "Eles têm," and doing the little accent in the air with her hand. Then she was describing how you add 'aram' to the past tense of some words.

I do realize that this could have been focused on Portugal and not Brazil, but either way I couldn't believe it.

I walked by a shoe store downtown and spotted Havaianas. I just had to price them.
29 euros for a pair that I saw for 24 reais last week in Maringá. The lesson here? If at all possible, do not buy your flip-flops in Europe!!

Okay, here are the pictures I promised.

The River Liffey

Grafton Street - Main shopping street in the city.

St. Stephen's Green - Still one of the most beautiful parks I have ever stepped foot in and it is right in the middle of town.

The Campus of Trinity College - I think it would be wild to attend a college that is such a tourist destination. I saw the Book of Kells last year and it was amazing.



2 comments:

Mamacita Chilena said...

NICE. I would give anything to be in a state of the art gym!!!

Pics look great, I definitely need to get my butt to Dublin and check it out one day!

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

There is nothing like an awesome gym to motivate me!

When you make it here, you are sure to end up with some amazing pictures with your talent. Mine definitely don't do it justice.