Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Food Court Fare

I had the opportunity to sit down this weekend and flip through some of my magazines. They are getting rather backed up. I wouldn’t trade them for anything though because I always have English reading there for my leisure.

I came across an article about the health benefits of different kinds of potatoes.

I’ll warn you now. The one below doesn’t fit into that category.




Roasted Potato and similar stores are in almost every mall food court I’ve been to down here. It took me forever (and an episode of Paula Deen on food network) to figure out that they are traditional English pub food.

However, I doubt all the varieties here in Brazil match what is served in England. My husband likes the ones topped with chicken, sauce which is sometimes stroganoff and the hugely popular batata palhas (matchstick potatoes or potato sticks).

It looks a little scary, but I have no fear for his health since he ran about 10K before we went to lunch this particular day.

I went for a version that may or may not have been a little healthier. The potato was topped with rúcula (arugula), tomate seco (sun-dried tomatoes) and cheese. I have no worries about my consumption of dark, leafy greens that day. They went a bit crazy with the rúcula, but it was great.

We don’t eat at these places often, but it is good for a change every now and then. I think it is good variety for mall food too. Since I’m not such a big fan of buffets I like how the potato is served to you as is and not as a potato bar like we often have in the US. A Roasted Potato would definitely go over at well at home.



6 comments:

Emily said...

Mmmmmm, Roasted Potato. One of my favorite food court treats! My husband and I have chosen the exact meal pictured here before too! It's a nice break from the normal cuisine around these parts.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Glad to hear someone else is a fan. When I posted the pic I kind of thought, wow, that doesn't look appetizing at all. Ha, ha! But they really do taste good.

corinne said...

yummy!! My favorite Brazilian food court restaurant is Spoleto, make your own Italian. They have great salads when pasta seems too heavy. It reminds me a little of those make your own burrito places. The best thing about Roasted Potato and Spoleto and such is the food is made for you. Nothing like hitting one of those buffets at the end of the lunch hour to kill the appetite!

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

I like Spoleto too! They have great pastas and I love being able to add whatever I want.

I totally agree with you about the buffets. I'm not a big fan in the first place, but at the end of lunch time is definitely not the time to go. :)

Ray Adkins said...

Lori,

Just got back from Brazil and had a Baked potato topped with Stroaganoff at the Sao Paulo airport, it is my favorite fast food option!!!
I am surprised we don't see them around here...


Ray

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

In GRU? If so, where is it in there? We always have to resort to McDonalds or Pizza Hut when we want food there.

I agree. I think it would go over really well in the US.