Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Sense of Security

Walking along the streets of a small town outside Dublin yesterday I saw a policeman, or garda, as they are called here.

My first thought was, he actually looks somewhat pleasant. I immediately got that feeling of security and safety that I often feel at home.

I’m going to be honest. The police in Brazil scare the hell out of me. They stand around very ominous looking and I find myself with my head down scurrying past without eye contact.

That is just in Maringá. I hear it is worse in larger cities, although I will say that the police in Curitiba didn’t seem so scary.

My point is I don’t feel safe in Brazil, at all.

I’m not talking about safety from the attack of a citizen here. I’m talking about the safety and reassurance you feel when you know law enforcement are on your side as a civilian.

In Brazil, I actually feel less safe when the police are around.

I know there are corrupt policemen/women everywhere and I’m not saying that everyone I meet in Brazil is, but I just have this overwhelming feeling that they wouldn’t help a gringa if she needed it. Sometimes I feel they might create more trouble.

I hope I’m wrong, but this is how I feel.

The police here appear as they do back home, approachable and friendly; the kind that you can walk up to and ask directions.

Now maybe my sense of security is false. Those types of feelings usually are. However, I can’t hide the fact that a big part of me feels relief and my fear lifted a bit once I arrived here.

I already had this written when my husband reminded me that Ireland was one of the few places left who has decided against their law inforcement carrying guns. Funny, that doesn't change my perception of safety at all for some reason.

Yesterday I went to Killiney and Dalkey. I walked the beach at the Killiney Bay. I guess I am a little amazed at how something so simple can be so beautiful.

Many of the beach areas here appear completely abandoned. Old buildings sit a long the edge, aged and dirty. However, there is something about just being in Ireland and the natural beach and landscape that makes it peaceful and overpowering site to behold.

I seriously need some type of rent-a-dog service. They were everywhere and I really wanted my own for playing fetch. They were hilarious. The perfect picture of happiness as they ran up and down the beach and swam in the waves.

Dalkey was a really beautiful little town full of shops, cafes and pubs. It is an attraction because some of its ruins, the Dalkey Castle, are right in the middle of town. I walked down to the water to get a view of Dalkey Island. It was amazing; full of history.

I also finally had my first Irish coffee of the trip. I'm not sure why last week got away from m before I revisted my all time favorite drink. I've vowed to have one every day this week to make up for it!

The first two pictures are from Killiney, the rest from Dalkey.


9 comments:

Emily said...

You've read my latest post, so you know I can relate to this one! Having the police (or technically the detectives, not the regular police force who have a better reputation) steal from me - which is far less scary than police with giant machine guns siding with the druglords and murderers - was still just so shocking. How am I supposed to trust that they're even trying to protect me or anyone else when they're thieves? Have they even run the fingerprints they took from my apartment? I will never again allow these people in my house and am doing my best to let everyone I know hear about how shady and scummy they are. It's very strange to realize that your safety really depends on you, with little to no back up from the people who are supposedly protecting you.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

I could not believe that about your necklace! How horrible.

I'm getting the feeling that this is a problem in most of South America when it comes to gringas.

It is a huge reason why I could never forsee myself settling in a place such as Brazil for good. I just can't deal with that constant lack of security.

Sure there is pick pocketing and mugging everywhere, but when it comes from the people who are specifically supposed to help you it is 10x worse.

corinne said...

I was always a little wary of the police, until I started teaching them. Granted, the Minas police are no the same as the Rio police (Rio police are in a class by themselves), but even so, I also agree that they (all Brazilian police) are not approachable in the same way that police in the US are. After teaching a lot of PM and PC in BH, I have met a lot of good police. I think that when on patrol there is a corporate attitude of toughness and in fact some of the survey data I have analyzed regarding people´s pereptions of police and safety show a positive correlation being afraid of the police and feeling safe, that being afraid of the police is a good thing, related to the fact they are tough on criminals. I do feel that police in Brazil are very ostentatious with their weapons, waving them about and using them unnecessarily (as the recent incidents in Rio and Recife can attest), but after having gotten to know a lot of police, I try to remind myself that the "police" is not one homogeneous block, but made up of a lot of different people, both good and bad.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Thanks for commenting on your experiences, corinne. It is reassuring. I do try to remember they are all people and I am sure there are some good ones in the bunch. Just like there are some bad ones in the bunch in the US.

Nani said...

This is one of the reasons why I don't want t live in Brazil anymore. I love my country, my heart will always be brazilian, all my family is there, but if I could I would bring them all to live with me here in the US. Violence in Brazil is serious problem. When I went down there to see my family last March me and my mom got robbed in Sao Paulo, it was horrible, we were inside the car, stuck in traffic with no way out. That moment all I wanted was to hop on a plane and come back to America. I am not saying America is the safest place, bad things happen here too, but I feel much safer here than over there.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Wow, elaine, that is awful. The larger cities do make me nervous, but I always have my guard up in Maringa, too.

For me it is just the insecurity coming from both sides - the violent citizens and the police. I would perceive the violence differently if I was confident in the fact that I could trust the police to help me.

Ray Adkins said...

Lori,

I totally understand where you are coming from, I also have had the same feeling towards the police when we lived in Brazil, however over the years we realized that it was more of a psychological mindset bringing us fear than what actually was happening, the media in Brazil terrorized us more than necessary and what happened in RIO was constantly blasted on the news as a generic Brazilian crime situation when in reality it wasn't generic, it was a very specific incident been blown out of proportion, Brazilians are experts in doing just that.
We were never robbed while living in Sao Paulo and never heard of any incidents from our friends who lived in Brazil at the same time.
The few times we spoke to policemen on the streets in Sao Paulo ( to ask directions ) they were very approachable and went out of their way to help us gringos find our way to a museum or a certain market.
Corine is 100% correct, the police in RIO is a chapter a part in Brazilian life.
Ironically enough, the first time we were ever robbed was in a parking lot of a "Whataburger" in one of the safest neighborhoods of North Dallas, Texas, and we found a policemen two blocks from the Whataburger, he displayed arrogance and indifference and refused to help us because he was a "Dallas" police and the robbery took place two blocks west in the town of Carrolton, Texas, outside of his jurisdiction...he wouldn't even call the Carrolton cops for us, he told us to go home and call 911 ourselves from home once our cell phones and wallets had been stolen!!!
Another important fact to be remembered is that cops in bigger cities have to look tough for their own protection.
Rhode Island ( our home state )police is known to be one of the most violent in the country, our state is mostly urban and there is serious crime activity happening around some areas of Providence, not to mention we have the mafia in mix, which makes for interesting diversity of characters, but we live in a suburb of Providence where crime is very low and we trust our very approachable Warwick Police officers, who are nothing like the Providence Police who have to defend themselves from drug lords and mafia, another reason to avoid generalizing.
I am sure you have heard this before, but we often risk being unfair when generalizing any situation, and let me remind you Brazilians are the first ones to exaggerate and help blow things out of proportion, it clearly has to do with their lack of self steam, who knows why? I still haven't found the answer to this one!


Ray

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Thanks for your input Ray. I have a question. Are you Brazilian? I thought you were a Brazilian who has been living in the US a long while. Maybe I misunderstood.

I just noticed in your comment that you put that the Sao Paulo police helped "us gringos."

I realize that the media blows things way out of proportion and that there are plenty of cities in the US that are unsafe. This still doesn't make me feel any safer in Brazil.

Rogério Penna said...

the fact most patrol police in Brazil are MILITARY POLICE, and they use uniforms that do resemble more military police than civilian police in other parts of the world, obviously doesnt help.

brazilian police has been divided in military police and civilian police (basically, only does investigation work) since forever. And all tries of unifying the two have been fruitless, since they are two strong corporations and they dont want to merge.