Saturday, October 11, 2008

Group Post: Adjustment

When I began this blog about my experiences in Brazil I started seeking out more and more ex-pat blogs to read. I really like comparing the challenges and fun times, as well as learning about a new place.

Some blogs I’ve followed for a while now are from a group of ex-pats in Chile. These girls are honest and entertaining writers and I enjoy keeping up with them.

Recently they have been doing group posts every other weekend and Kyle, the organizer of the posts, has always invited other ex-pats to join in. It hasn’t worked out for me in past weeks, but the topic this week provoked some thoughts so I decided to join in.

The topic this week: Hardest Custom to Adjust to in (enter country here)

I had to think about this a while because quite frankly there has been a lot of adjustment going on in my life for the past year. I think the hardest for me involves two issues that share the common subject of time.

First, it is the custom that every thing, situation, event, etc. turns out to be a long, drawn out process.

My perception is that many people who move to Brazil are attracted to the laidback lifestyle. While this isn’t a huge draw for me, we enjoy some of the benefits of it. We’ve really grown accustomed to long, relaxing dinners and actually are turned off by eating out in the US.

You know, where dinner hits your table before you are done with salads, the bill hits the table after your second bite of the entrée and the servers wait impatiently for you to pay so they can get a new group in. We’d prefer a Brazilian restaurant experience over that any day.

It is just that some things take forever, for example, get-togethers with friends whether at a restaurant or a BBQ at someone’s house. We arrive and wonder for about 2 hours when the party is going to actually start. Then after we’ve been there a long while we start wondering if it is ever going to end.

I might like you a lot, but I’m simply not the type of person who wants to spend the entire day and night with you. I have many close friends, but getting together for a couple hours at a time is just about perfect. Luckily most of my friends feel the same.

While I’ve gotten used to this and I appreciate every chance I get to experience local events I really do miss entertaining and the types of parties I often enjoyed with my groups of friends in the States. I like the idea of getting together for a couple hours then going off to do your own thing on the weekends.

I guess maybe what it comes down to is that I enjoy a lot of alone time, or time with just my husband. The weekends are just too valuable for me to give them up to long drawn out events on a regular basis.

Since I’m talking about the topic of drawn out processes I’ll throw in one other small thing here. Although my patience level has probably tripled since moving sometimes I am still baffled at how the simplest task can take forever - grocery checkout, bank, bill paying. Sometimes it is unbelievable, but I’ve accepted it. Let’s move on.

The second custom that deals with time that I’ve had a very hard time getting adjusted to is the nonchalant attitude towards appointments and schedules. Now let me say that there are a lot of people from the US that are like me and there are a lot that aren’t. I dealt with this kind of issue at home, but it is much more extreme in Brazil, especially appointments made by businesses.

I am the type of person that views timeliness as a sign of respect. Respecting someone’s time and keeping your word is an important value in my set work ethics and the way I live my life.

So when we came down here and 8:00 actually meant 8:45 and the Internet company said they’d be here Wednesday and came on Friday without a word of apology, it really drove me crazy.

It doesn’t bother me when dealing with casual appointments with friends or acquaintances anymore. I’ve grown accustomed to the fact that I really don’t have to be on time here.

However when dealing with businesses, I’m not sure I’ll ever fully adjust to it. There is just so much competition in the States and I’m learning that I like it that way. If a company promises to be there on a certain day and shows up two days later with no contact whatsoever I have the freedom to cancel their services and move on to the next company.

Here, there is only one company in town that does the specific service. Either that or everyone else who offers the service shows up late too so as a customer you are stuck. You really have no power at all. You are forced to wait around receiving what I view as disrespect as a paying customer.

I do realize that it probably doesn’t mean disrespect in this culture and that is where the level of understanding has to come on my part, but no one ever said I had to actually like it.

I’ve changed a lot. I can stand in line for a very long time without feeling impatient and I welcome a long evening with my husband at a restaurant. I love to relax, but when it comes to having free time and getting service that is the proper quality for the price I’m paying I have preferences. Good or bad, these are two areas where my views will probably never change.

If you want to read more of the posts check out Just Married Chilean Style and Don't call me gringa.

10 comments:

Poofbegone said...

The waiting in line thing here in Ecuador is the same. I just picture how in the states some pissed off lady would be demanding them to open the other registers but here there is a long winding line and only two open registers and no one says anything.

Also, I remember in Brazil how people always cut in line. I learned that if you want to get something, you have to force your way up the line because if you are nice and let people get ahead, you will never get anything done.

Mamacita Chilena said...

Yep, the waiting thing is the same here. Lori, I feel like we are just living parallel lives in two different countries, hahaha! Really, I identified with so much that you said in this post. The waiting, the lack of competition in business leading to inefficiency, the whole never ending events thing...

Sara said...

Oh Latin America. It really wouldn't be Latin America without the relaxed attitude towards time. I've never beent o Brazil, but I've always wanted to go.

Emily said...

I so agree. We're making a few changes on the new apartment right now, and constructio people aren't even on time in the US - imagine in Chile! My English father taught me that puncuality is important, and I still believe it. For social events it's nice to be able to relax a bit if I'm running late (although I do still try to call if it's more than 20 minutes or so), but for things where I am paying someone to do something it drives me insane.

Ray Adkins said...

Lori,


I totally agree with you on the supermarket issue, the think that drove me crazy more than anything in Brazil was the slow pace of the Carrefour cashiers, and I do say Carrefour because in Sao Paulo I realized that other grocery store have faster cashiers, Pao de Acucar for example is all right...
Funny you mention the issue with your Internet company, I think that is a tremendous disrespect, however I see it as an issue with small towns more than a Brazilian thing, when we lived in Sao Paulo we always observed business appointments were on time, different than social events, however our cable, internet, furniture delivery etc in Sao Paulo was ok, they were always on time, we even were surprised they gave us times like 9 am or 3 pm because we were used to "anytime between 8 am and 8 pm kind of deal that I always hated".
My point is, we live in Rhode Island, a very small state, add to that we have the Irish and Italian mafia and very corrupted politicians and due to those facts we had only one internet, cable company for the longest time. I cursed Cox Communications thru most of the 90's and until two years ago when Verizon finally was able to brake in and offer competition...
Cox used to treat us the same way, yeah! We will get there sometime around the 18th of next month...maybe they showed up and maybe they didn't...
So, I think this disrespect comes with lack of competition in smaller markets...more than a this country or that country type of behavior.
We never saw the end of any Brazilian party we ever attended, we always left before most folks...


Ray

Elaine said...

I love this post. It's true Lori. We brazilians have a big problem "managing" or dealing with time. It's a cultural problem, but you can find people that won't like that. Me, for example... I never liked waiting in line at the grocery stores, my mom neither, we many times got pissed and left things right there on the floor and left. It drove us nuts.
Then the appointments... when we went to a doctor's appointment we already expected to wait a long time for our turn. And the cable company which was also only one in my town, would say:
"we will be there between 10 am and 5 pm". I wanted to kill myself, or somebody... we coulnd't do anythiing or go anywhere the whole day because we had to wait for them.
There is so many other issues... I had no problems adpting to the life in the States. I just love the way things work here, just right. Oh, and now, if I say I will meet you at 5 pm, I will be there 15 minutes earlier. I hate to wait for people, but this way I don't make them wait for me.

Nani said...

oops, the post above was mine I was just using a different account.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

First, everyone who contributed to the post - I am looking forward to reading them. I was traveling this week and am just now catching up.

kumichan83 - I forgot about the cutting in line thing. We've had it happen several times just in the past two days. I hate having to be pushy and, what I consider, rude but there is no othe way to get things done.

Kyle - Sounds like we have a ton in common. Ha, ha! Looking forward to reading your post.

sara - I think you are right. The relaxed attitude does somewhat define the area for a lot of people.

Emily - I think punctuality is an important value. This experience definitely won't change that for me. I definitely wouldn't want to be going through an apartment move/repair again. I hope things are going well for you!

ray - I think the lack of competition exaggerates the problem in a small town, but I still think some other issues with time are very typical Brazil and Latin America compared to customs in the US. For me, it is a little of both.

Elaine - Ha, ha! Thanks for your input. It helps to have information from someone in the opposite position as me. :)

I remember all the deliveries and services from the US that tell you anywhere from 8-5. Frustrating, but what I started to like is that they will call you right before they come. This works out great when you have to work. Maybe they will do that in Brazil and we just couldn't use it because of our Portuguese when we first moved. I just don't know how you have a full time job and get stuff done at home around here. I know we couldn't have done it if I had been working.

cathy said...

So interesting! FWIW, people are like that with appts here in Jackson, WY too, though maybe not quite to the extreme as in Brazil. We jokingly call it Jackson Hole time. An appt scheduled for 10 might not really start until 11. Maddening!

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Hi cathy! Ha, ha! Honestly, when we moved from northern IN to central KY we noticed a huge change in timeliness and keeping appts. Sounds similar to Jackson.

I always say that our living in KY prepared me more for dealing with it in Brazil. I probably would have gone nuts if I had moved here directly from northern IN!