Thursday, October 16, 2008

An Island Birthday

My 30th birthday celebration was nothing short of amazing. We started the weekend by traveling to Curitiba and on Monday we drove about 2 hours to Ponto do Paraná to catch a boat to the beautiful Ilha do Mel (Honey Island).

This island is a mixture of an ecological station and a state park. If you want a secluded trip to the beach that offers beautiful views and tons of natural vegetation this is the place you should go.

The island isn’t accessible by car. Sand pathways wind through the interior and exterior of the area connecting the different places of interest.


We decided we would take the boat to Encantadas, hike to Brasília and take the boat back from there. We were there from about 10:30am until 4:00pm and that gave us enough time to hike from Encantadas to the Grottos (Gruta dos Encantadas), around to Brasília and then stop for something to eat.

The map says the trek is about 5 kilometers, but it fails to mention the huge hills and rocky areas to climb. It was a day full of walking on the beach, hiking along sandy trails and climbing rocks. The views were amazing and even though my legs were on fire from exhaustion by the end, I would do it again.


I was so surprised at the amount of pousadas on the island. We were led to believe that there were only a few, but they seemed to be around every corner as we made the trek from the beaches to the port areas. Restaurants were scarce on the east side of the island, but we came across a few that offered both snacks and meals as we headed back to the ports on the west side.
We stopped at a little place near the water for some seafood and beer. While the food was no where near as good as what we got from Floripa, but it was a great change from our norm.


The place seems to be popular for backpackers from a variety of areas. I’m not sure how busy it gets in the summer, but I do know they limit the amount of visitors to 4,000 to 5,000 at a time depending on the season.

We are planning to head back in November with family and I am already looking forward to it. I could have definitely used some more time to just relax on the beach after our hiking, but there was just too much we wanted to see.

We didn’t even have time to make it to the lighthouse or the fort. I guess that just means I’ll have to keep returning until we finally see it all. Fine by me, I loved the place!

10 comments:

corinne said...

AWESOME!! Happy Birthday!!! The Ilha de Mel looks amazing. It reminds me a lot of Ilha Grande on Rio´s coast, although your island looks much less developed (which is a good thing)!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!! What an amazing place!! I love to go hiking around! We did some hiking on our honeymoon in St Thomas and it was amazing!! The island is beautiful where you are! I am making notes for my own travel destinations ;) Glad you had a great birthday!

Delightfully Healthy said...

Wow. What an incredible place to celebrate your birthday! Happy Birthday!

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Thanks for the b-day wishes.

corinne - I'm definitely growing fond of the more secluded natural areas when it comes to the beach.

Stephanie - You should definitely go there if you are around the area. It was a lot of fun and beautiful!

delightfully healthy - Thanks for your comment and for stopping by. I really enjoy your blog.

Mamacita Chilena said...

That sounds UNREAL!!!!!!

Happy Birthday, sounds like your special day was pretty unforgettable.

Ray Adkins said...

Lori,

You guys have great taste, that is a definitely a slice of paradise.
Congrats on your 30th!

Ray

Melody Platz said...

It looks so peaceful. Lovely.

Happy Belated Birthday.

Now I know where I want to go for my next birthday.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Thanks everyone! Yes, definitely unforgettable and peaceful is the perfect word. It is amazing how quite places can be with out any cars. All you could hear were birds and waves. Awesome!

Ray Adkins said...

Lori,

When back in the US, try and visit Catalina Island, on the coast of California, near Los Angeles, you can get the ferry at Long Beach.
It has a law prohibiting gas powered cars, they only have electric cars and golf carts around the island, it is really cool.
However, much more touristy than Ilha do Mel...


Ray

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Sounds like a cool place. I have yet to make it to California. I have a feeling when we move back we'll be doing a lot more exploring of the US.